Chapter 24

Sophie's heart almost stopped.

She froze in place, expecting Trix to turn around and lash out.

But...

He didn't give any clue that he had sensed them.

He wasn't even looking at them.

Which meant...

He was talking to someone else.

"Please," someone begged from farther inside the room. "Don't hurt my son."

The voice was female.

Who was it?

Trix's voice remained impassive. "I have already acknowledged your futile endeavor. There is nothing that you or I can do."

Sophie crept closer inside, careful not to make the slightest sound. If Trix heard them, everything would go downhill.

Fitz. We're inside... we found Trix.

Fitz's mental voice was alarmed. Did he see you?

His attention isn't on us... it's on someone else, Sophie replied. We're about to find out who he's talking to.

She severed the mental connection as she stepped into the doorway.

The room was bleak and dark.

Trix silently contemplated the other person, who Sophie couldn't see yet. But they were crying.

As Sophie's eyes adjusted, she realized that there were cells in the room.

And inside...

She saw the faces of Grady. Edaline. Juline. Kesler. Alden. Lord Cassius. Tiergan. Prentice. Mr. Forkle. Half of them were unconscious. And almost all of them had wounds and scars.

They were all familiar faces.

That meant that hopefully wherever the rest of her friends were, they were safe. Marella's parents. Maruca's parents. Stina's. Jensi's family.

Juline's hands gripped the bars of her cell and her face was pressed against them. Sophie could hear her desperation as she pleaded, "Please. You don't have to do this."

"It's not my decision." Trix's voice was flat and emotionless.

"But you can help us." Juline's voice hardened with emotion. "Why won't you?"

"Why should I?" Trix asked. His voice was edged.

Wait, Sophie, Rayni transmitted. Did you find Trix?

Yes, Sophie responded. Our parents are here, too.

Good. Do what you have to do. But... don't kill him. Please.

It was the first time Sophie had heard Rayni use the word 'please.' So she cared about him.

Sophie? Rayni asked. Did you hear me? Trix doesn't. Deserve. To die. He might have done some things to you... but if you kill him, you're no better than Lady Gisela.

Part of Sophie wanted to argue. She remembered that Trix had been part of her kidnapping. Not to mention Wylie's.

Her hand reached for Hope... but she hesitated.

Rayni had a point.

She couldn't judge Trix that way. Things were too complicated. She couldn't condemn him to that horrible fate.

Juline swallowed. "Why? Because you want to harm innocent children?"

Trix didn't answer for a moment. "Why do you blame me for Lady Gisela's work? Her goals?"