Chapter 23

Sophie hadn't expected the night air to be so frigid.

Or was it her trepidation?

Was it her knowing that she was about to step foot in one of the places of her nightmares?

When she teleported, it had worked that time. She'd pictured the desert of the Gateway to Exile. She hadn't fainted. Or lost control.

Why was she afraid when going to Exile was her idea in the first place?

She released her hold on Biana's hand before it got sweaty.

As she turned in a circle, staring at the endless dunes, she forced herself to conquer her stupid emotions.

It was time to think analytically.

How are we going to get inside? Sophie transmitted to her friends and the bodyguards. We can't exactly go in using the typical way, right?

Probably not, Fitz conceded. What about the way we snuck in last time?

I think you should do a mental sweep of the interior first, Ro's loud voice shouted in their heads. Or do your elf-y mind tricks not work?

I'm pretty sure they can work, Sophie replied. But the number of prisoners and the size can cause problems.

Elidyr transmitted, The way you went through last time has been blocked. There is now no other way but to go through the main entrance.

That was what Sophie thought he said, as the translation was a little vague.

But the implication filled Sophie with dread.

Bile rose in her throat as she translated what the dwarf had said to her friends.

Bo muttered a string of curses telepathically that almost made Sophie regret being a Polyglot. For all we know, they could be aware of our presence and are waiting to trap us.

We do have the advantage of abilities and stealth, though, Maruca pointed out. They probably won't see us coming.

That doesn't mean that we won't be sensed using other methods, Fitz argued. The Neverseen have an extremely powerful Telepath with them. What if they sense us?

Everyone, it's not going to be helpful if we just discuss 'what-if's, Rayni interjected. What we should do is try sensing them first.

I guess it's time to try it, Sophie sighed.

She found Fitz's mind, and an unspoken agreement passed between them as they expanded their perspectives.

They felt the tiny pinpricks of light from their own minds. Then...

I guess we go down? Fitz suggested.

Sure.

Fitz counted them down, and they shoved down with all their might.

There were some faint lights of consciousnesses below them.

There they are, Fitz breathed.

There were so many small lights down there. Some were slightly larger than others- some dimmer.

Some were practically invisible.

Her heart sank.

How would she know if her friends' consciousnesses were there within the multitude of minds?

Should we check every consciousness? Fitz suggested halfheartedly.

Sophie shook her head. That would take forever. There are just... too many.