Chapter 62

Back to reality.

Back to the island- feeling a cool breeze lift her hair and seeing the dazzling colors of dawn above.

Back to life and sensation outside of the endless darkness in the void.

After all of that, Sophie would never feel the same way again.

She heard shouts and screams of many different voices and felt soft, damp grass beneath her.

She felt exhausted and like she could lie there forever, but knowing she had a purpose, she rose to her feet and wiped the dirt off of her clothes.

Bright light entered her eyes and she once again realized how long she had been away from reality, away from the problems in the physical world.

In the distance, she could see her friends and family as they raced to her from the house.

She looked for Elysian and saw her lying nearby on the grass...

But she was stunned when her gaze fell upon Merida lying next to her.

Biana was the first to reach her, and Sophie's heart warmed as her friend threw her arms around her.

"Sophie," she said with an expression that Sophie realized was her trying to hold back tears. "You and Elysian were gone for hours. Do you have any idea what kind of heart attacks we had when the barrier vanished and we couldn't find you?"

"I'm sorry," Sophie whispered, fighting tears of her own. "I didn't know how long it would be- but I'm back."

"We're glad," Linh said. Marella and Maruca, standing not far behind, nodded in agreement.

"I'm sorry about everything," Elysian interrupted. "I didn't mean to involve all of you into my mess- especially when it meant putting you in-"

She broke off abruptly as she saw Merida.

"You're here," Elysian said with difficulty, so stunned she could only manage the two words.

Merida stood up slowly, carefully, staring at her hands and wringing them a few times to make sure they were real.

"I am," she said in matching awe. "I- I'm back."

She didn't register how everyone was looking at her curiously.

This was the Merida Sophie had seen in her visions- the last one before she had met Will. She still looked youthful and radiant even after all that time.

Sophie blinked many, many times. "You're back now- and you can live the life you want. It'll be like your story never ended."

"I have so many new memories, though," Merida said with a wince.

She glanced at Elysian with a frown, staring at something only she could see. Then her expression turned to glee. "I can see every moment now- including when you and Will-"

"That's enough," Elysian said firmly, but her pale cheeks were tinted with pink. "I'm sure all of you are probably wondering what happened. So. We. Should probably tell you."

"Of course," Fitz said. "It would be a nice change."

Sophie ignored the snark in his voice before transmitting, Are you okay?

It wasn't the answer she wanted, and she felt a pang of disappointment when he ignored her. But the brief moment of mental contact was enough for her to check his mind.

There was no trace of the Veil... and his mind seemed a lot clearer and brighter than before.

She exhaled in relief as she checked everyone, one by one, and found no trace of it.