Chapter 61

It was too quiet.

Sophie stumbled into the silent expanse, a shiver running down her spine as soon as her eyes adjusted to the dark void.

She expected to feel the chilling sensation of the abyss, but there was none whatsoever.

And when she opened her eyes, the abyss was gone.

It was just gone. Without a trace.

A scream sounded in the distance. Merida.

Elysian stood above her, pinning her down with a white lance made of fiery light.

A lance exactly like the one the abyss had shown her.

"No!" Sophie shouted. She forced everything into her sprint, because if she was too late...

She wouldn't know what to do.

"Sophie," Elysian said. She struggled to find her breath. "You're here."

"Let her go," Sophie said urgently.

Merida's eyes narrowed as they met Elysian's, but when she saw Sophie, she looked uncertain.

"Why are you trying to help her?" Elysian asked incredulously. "She's dangerous. Besides, she deserves this fate. Her story should have ended long ago."

"That's not true," Sophie cried.

It was a desperate plea, but she had to say everything. "She didn't deserve to have parents who didn't love her. She didn't deserve to get caught between the Council and the rebellion. She didn't deserve to be manipulated or controlled. She didn't deserve to have to leave everything she had ever known just because everyone just wanted to take advantage of her!"

Sophie's eyes met Merida's again, and Sophie understood.

All the visions.

In a twisted way, they had been Merida's way of telling her story.

But she probably hadn't expected Sophie to connect with them like she did. If she had tried to find a spark of hope, was it still there?

Or had she given up on it?

"She deserved a good life," Sophie whispered, shuddering at the tears in her eyes. "She deserved love and happiness. When she felt pain, she tried hiding it away, but the truth is... there are always feelings deep down inside. That's what the abyss and the Veil taught me... as did Lord Cassius and Keefe."

Merida's expression was impossible to read.

Something changed on Elysian's face, but it could have been the flickering light. "Is the abyss... gone?"

Sophie's stomach twisted. "I'm pretty sure it's gone for now. It tried controlling me but failed... but we both realized that neither one of us could win. But I know how to hold it off now- and I'm going to make sure it never has any control ever again."

Elysian inhaled sharply. "It's gone. It's truly gone."

Silence came- silence that was unnatural and deceptively calm.

"Sophie, it's okay." The words came from Merida, who looked pale but determined. She stared up at Elysian with no fear whatsoever. "Let her do this."

"No- what do you mean?" Sophie asked. "Elysian, you can't."

Elysian's hand opened and closed around the lance, and Sophie could force no more words out of her throat.

"I genuinely want this," Merida whispered. "She was right about me deserving this. The past can't change. I can finally die, and I would be happy."