Chapter 52

"You know him," Owen said, staring at Merida's expression. "He seems to know you, too."

Sophie saw the horror in Merida's gaze- the betrayal.

She knew him...

Knew him too well.

But apparently not enough.

For a long, tense moment, nobody said anything...

"Merida," Justin said weakly, his eyes staring in her general direction. "Help me."

But his turquoise irises were misty and confused.

He looked pale and starved like he hadn't eaten or seen daylight in days.

"It's the poison," one of the female Councillors standing aside explained quietly. "That's why he's confused. The rebels threw it on him to make him forget the things he saw and heard... but it also broke his mind, in a way. We managed to bring him to this... state."

The poison?

"Who are you?" Justin snarled aggressively, turning in the direction of the voice. "Merida! Who's talking?"

It was the first time Sophie had seen him like that...

He sounded as wild and savage as a feral beast.

It looked like it was taking all of Merida's willpower not to shatter on the spot.

"So," Merida said slowly and deliberately. Trying to keep control. "He was involved with the rebels."

"That's what we found," Owen responded. "He was their latest recruit, and wasn't difficult to subdue, but what we've gotten out of him is... unhelpful."

"You want me to break into his mind and recover his memories," Merida said. "That's..."

She sounded so calm, but she was also losing her hold.

"What happened?" Merida asked. "How did he become involved?"

"That's part of what we're trying to find out," Owen admitted. "That's where you come in. "

Merida closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened her eyes and spoke, her voice still trembled. "I want to see your memories first."

"That won't be necessary," another one of the Councillors responded coldly. "You agreed to help us, did you not? Time is of the essence."

"But it won't hurt to know a little more about what I'm dealing with, right?" Merida countered with a little more of the stubbornness Sophie was familiar with after seeing her interactions with her parents.

"That's not up for you to decide-" the Councillor started.

But Owen raised a hand, shot them a warning gaze, and turned to Merida. "You may have the information. However, I need you to confirm that you're prepared for what you're about to see."

"I'm ready," Merida said, her voice lacking conviction.

"Are you sure?" Owen asked without a trace of humor in his eyes. "We don't want to risk anything."

"I'm ready," Merida said firmly this time. Some of her stubbornness had evidently returned.

"Very well," Owen relented. "I'll show you."

And then Sophie was with Merida as she connected her consciousness with Owen's and...

In the memory, Owen was with another woman in the darkness. Sophie remembered the same woman in the room with Merida.