Chapter 41

"Shadowflux," Elysian repeated.

It was something only the most powerful Shades could control. It was unpredictable, dangerous...

Sophie remembered when Umber had hurt her and Fitz. Their time together in the Healing Center...

Perhaps Fitz remembered that.

"Does that mean a Shade did this to them?" asked Elwin. "I've had cases with shadowflux... but not in the mind."

"This is something new," Elysian concluded. "Perhaps Tam would know more... I'm not a Shade. Perhaps he can control the shadowflux in Flori's mind and free her from the Veil?"

A queasy feeling entered Sophie's stomach as she thought about their most recent conversation, which hadn't gone well.

She still couldn't understand what had happened.

Why were their memories different?

One had to be wrong... and the other wasn't necessarily right. What strange force was behind all of this- and was it for good or for evil?

"Anyone wants to ask Tam for help?" Fitz suggested, glancing at Sophie.

Sophie bit her lip. "The last time we talked... we made a slightly creepy discovery..."

She trailed off, realizing what she had done.

She realized she hadn't discussed her visions with her friends. Which meant... she would have to now.

Now that she had started the topic, everyone in the room wouldn't let it go.

"Discovery?" Elwin asked.

"What discovery?" Sandor asked at the same time. "You mean when you talked to Tam telepathically- yes, I can tell when you do that, Sophie- fell unconscious, and ran here? You're not escaping this discussion."

Sophie sighed.

Elysian looked at her shrewdly, then turned to the others. "I'll get Tam. He'll likely be needed for Flori's treatment. In the meantime, everyone, keep Biana comfortable."

Hidden in Elysian's crisp orders was the cue for Sophie to begin explaining herself.

Sophie stared out the window as Elysian stepped out of the room.

The silence was fleeting and immediately broke as Sandor marched up to her. "You are telling me right now. Right. Now."

Not looking away from the window, Sophie began speaking. "Lately, I've been falling unconscious more than usual, such as when we leaped here yesterday night. But... during those periods, I've been seeing things from the past. Specifically things regarding a girl named Merida who used to live at Brumevale. I've been shown many moments from her past... and I don't think they were random. The visions have to do with the void, and Tam helped me realize that..."

"So that's what you were talking about?" Sandor interrupted.

Sophie nodded, staring at the afternoon sky outside. But most of the color was obscured by a heavy layer of fog. She couldn't see the sun.

It suddenly felt cold.

"I tried entering the void and ended up having a vision... and seeing a girl in a long blurry hallway. However, when I showed Tam, he couldn't see them."

Sophie broke off, knowing that she wasn't communicating very well. Sandor, Elwin, and Fitz looked perplexed at her speech.

"How many visions have you had so far?" Elwin asked after several beats of silence.