Hiding

Cohen ran her fingers down her sides feeling the different fabric on her skin other than the clothes she had been given on Kamino all those years ago. The clothing she wore was her own. She got to choose, which she liked down to the smallest detail. She liked her new boots and the tan hilt on her waist where she could finally place her blaster and her new vibroblade after much convincing, Hunter allowed her to have them.

Cohen stared blankly at herself from the dusty reflection and hardly recognized herself. That was the entire point after all. The Empire would surely spot her if she wandered around with the same Kaminoan uniform. Even her hair had to change. It had grown a lot longer and she didn't have the time to cut it short so she settled for a temporary solution and got herself a bandana which kept her hair from getting in her face. 

"You almost done?" Hunter asked from the other side of the door. 

She shivered at his question. If she hardly recognized herself, would he?

 Cohen exhaled roughly, finishing small touches to her new disguise. The Empire couldn't possibly identify her in these clothes, right? It's not an exaggerated change but it was enough to blend in as a civilian. Maybe Crosshair could mistake her for any ordinary woman in the galaxy. Maybe these clothes would give her more time, just until Crosshair would learn the truth. Behind this facade, it was the same old Cohen. No matter what changes she made, it wouldn't change the fact that Crosshair has an objective. Her life was on the line but she just wanted to buy more time before the inevitable. 

"Almost," she replied, her voice shaking.   

"You okay?" Hunter asked. She could feel him leaning closer to the door and sense the concern in his tone. 

"I- uh, I'm just a little overwhelmed..." 

With no warning, Hunter barged in startling Cohen. His eyes were wide and attentive until he saw her. There was a brief moment of silence of Cohen trying to register what he had done but Hunter, his expression softened and savored what he saw. 

"Cohen..." He said, his gaze piercing onto her clothing. 

"I didn't know if you'd like what I'm wearing," she explained nervously and still a little shaken from his intrusion. Behavior like that wasn't like him but she ignored it. "So... do you?"

"You're beautiful, Cohen." He approached her slowly, his hands immediately taking her arms. She knew what he was thinking. He was looking at the bandages she placed to hide her scars. 

"I don't want Omega to see them," she said before he could ask what they were for. 

"I wasn't going to ask if that's what you thought," he said softly. 

"Oh. Well, just in case you were wondering, that's why they're there." 

He nodded and there was something different about the look on his face. Sad, perhaps. But in a snap, he managed to hide his expression. Cohen hated that. She didn't like it when he'd hide what he felt. Before she could say anything regarding it, Hunter spoke first. 

"You really do look beautiful." He ran his fingers through her hair and it would slip through his fingers. "I'm glad to have been some inspiration with this new look," he cracked a smile and adjusted her bandana. 

"I understand why you like your bandana so much. I may have underestimated you and your fashion choices," she teased. "You look really handsome, I might add." She played with a thin scarf he had around his neck and straightened it out. "I like the new paint." 

Life was becoming a lengthy adjustment. The squad needed to adapt or submit a little more into hiding. And for a squad of well-trained soldiers, the boys needed a little more blending in too, even though the armor was still noticeable, they settled for a new paint job. Under Hunter's chest plate, he wore a vest and rid himself of most of the protection he had from the waist down. The boys ditched the body suits and bought actual clothes. The difference wasn't too drastic, but Hunter really was handsome. The first time he came out with his new look, her cheeks flushed and burned at the sight of him.