²⁴

ᴇᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ғᴏᴜʀ
𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

"ALRIGHT, so like I was saying! He can have a date any other day, but coordinating our agendas isn't easy, and you and I have midterms in two weeks, so it isn't like we can reschedule

"ALRIGHT, so like I was saying! He can have a date any other day, but coordinating our agendas isn't easy, and you and I have midterms in two weeks, so it isn't like we can reschedule."

Reo made a monumental effort to pay attention. He could almost feel himself connecting his brain cells as Mei-Ling spoke. "Right, midterms..."

"Yeah, midterms," she repeated, her tone slightly reprimanding. "We have to catch up with everything we've missed before exams."

"You both study the same thing?" Nagi piped up.

Reo answered without looking back at him, too busy quieting down intrusive thoughts. "No, I'm in business and Mei-Ling is majoring in history, but we're in the same uni, so we have the same exams week and such."

"Are you studying something, Nagi?" Mei-Ling asked, trying to make conversation.

"Not really, not yet."

Reo couldn't picture Nagi studying a regular career and enjoying life as an office worker. Even years ago, when he was actually certain of what type of subjects and things interested Nagi, he didn't know what kind of future Nagi envisioned. Reo supposed he couldn't judge much. "Well, Shidou isn't studying either."

"I'm not good at academics, it's not my forte," the skater pointed out.

Mei-Ling laughed, nudging him, "Yeah, we figured that much..."

"Are you calling me stupid?"

"If the shoe fits..."

"Oh, what a smartass," Shidou almost sent her flying across the sidewalk as he bumped their hips, which made them both chuckle. Then she got back on her feet and grabbed him by the neck, trying to pull him down and ruffle his hair.

"Motherfucker!" She yelled.

"Hands off the hair, woman!" He fought back, pushing her away playfully until they almost hit the glass doors as the group finally arrived at their usual spot.

The waiter didn't seem too moved by their fuss. "Shidou, Mei-Ling, if you break something you'll both have to pay for it AND clean it up."

"Sorry," Mei-Ling let go of her partner, giggling a bit as she regulated her breathing. Shidou ignored the comment and went straight to their regular table by the window.

The waiter only eyed him with thinly veiled annoyance. "I'll take your orders in a minute," he told Reo, who was the only one polite enough to be listening.

"Thank you, Barou," Reo gave him a small smile. The college student wasn't paid enough to put up with them but hey, at least he did so without too many complaints.