³⁴

ᴇᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ғᴏᴜʀ
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐨

IT WAS COMPLETELY unfair how Reo's heart began to pound loudly at that

IT WAS COMPLETELY unfair how Reo's heart began to pound loudly at that. So loudly, he feared for a second that Nagi might hear. He had the ridiculous idea that the reason behind Nagi's action was that the song was supposed to send Reo a message, somehow. However, if he used his logic, Reo knew Nagi wanted to share this with him merely because Reo was more experienced when it came to music.

The bus arrived right then, and both boys got on. The seats were fortunately empty at that hour of the day, so Reo sat by the window, and Nagi found a seat next to him. He looked at Reo while he offered the earbud, saying "here." After Reo accepted it, Nagi put his own in his ear and pressed play on his phone.

Reo recognized the song right away. Many skaters had skated to Coldplay before, so the melody was okay from the beginning. But, when Reo began to focus on the lyrics, he felt a bit lost.

If they were, in fact, for him, it made things pretty awkward. He couldn't understand what had changed for Nagi to offer him so much.

I promise you I will learn from my mistakes? Come on, Reo was being arrogant and self-centered for taking it as a sign. Presumptuous, even. It was 'Fix You' by Coldplay; everyone liked the fucking song. It shouldn't be personal.

Nagi was staring at him as if awaiting a comment or reaction. Reo cleared his throat, "It's good," he said. "Maybe a bit underwhelming for a free program, but you must have an idea of how to improve it, right?"

The skater agreed, "I think we can enhance the instrumentals so it picks up momentum."

"Then it's fine..." Reo almost pulled at his fingers in a nervous gesture, but he was too aware of his body language and stopped himself in time. "I haven't thought of mine yet," he added.

"You'll figure something out," Nagi reassured him. "I saw your last performance, by the way, the one for the Prix. I didn't see it that day. I'm still unable to watch all performances without falling asleep."

Well, Reo was used to Nagi finding him unimportant. But they were fighting at the time, and Reo wasn't sure that was the full truth. "And is that why you didn't watch me?" He questioned.

"No," Nagi confessed, without explaining further. "Did you choose your song for that routine?"

"I thought it was obvious."

"Yeah, if one paid attention, it really sounded like you."

Reo gripped the plastic of his seat, needing to move his hand before he would start cracking his knuckles or something equally telling. Nagi continued, "It said something. I guess I want to do the same now."