Ch.14

It was a good day. I woke up at nine this morning just as grandma arrived at the house. I had thought she lived here, but she lives two blocks over in a ranch style home. I helped her make breakfast for John and J.J. before practice started at ten.
After breakfast, we make twenty-four sandwiches for the guys, each guy getting two. Apparently, only the offensive line, that J.J. is a part of, comes to the house after practice to go over plays and eat.

Around noon, Aunt Mary, grandma and I go to the mall. I found a few things and grandma insisted on paying for them saying she missed all my birthdays. I wanted to ask how my mother was only Mary's half-sister but every time I would start to ask, I'd chicken out. It's none of my business; grandma would tell me if she wanted to right? But I really wanted to know about my grandfather, whom I am assuming has passed, and about Mary's father as well.

Convincing myself it's none of my business, I put it all in the back of my mind and enjoyed my day. Around four, we went and ate at a family restaurant. We were seated by a group of guys about two years older than me. When I hear my name being called, I look over to the group of guys and see Tyler.

I smile and say, "Hey Tyler, how are you?"

"Better now that you're here. Miss me?" He asks, smiling.

"Are you looking for another ass kicking? I won't save you a second time." I reply, raising an eyebrow and wagging my finger at him smirking.

"I wanted to thank you for that, really, that was nice of you." He states, seriously.

"No problem. Just keep me out of your fight with Logan, we're not together." I tell him.

"Yeah, Maddox set me straight on that one." He chuckles. "That dude is scary." I smile, thinking how scared he was that night.

Then one of the guys knocks his shoulder into Tyler's getting his attention. "Dude, introduce me." He demands, smiling at me.

"Nope. She's not for the likes of you, she's spoken for." Tyler refuses, smirking my way. "She belongs to Maddox Kahn and unless you have a death wish, Nathan, I'd leave her alone."

"Maddox 'Mad Man' Kahn! You're saying that sweet little thing," he says, pointing his finger at me, "is with that huge scary looking mother fucker! No way." Then he must have noticed my aunt and grandma because he says, "I'm so sorry, ladies, it was the shock. Forgive me." He apologizes.

My grandma laughs and Mary says, "That's okay. I have most of the football team at my house every day, I've heard it all." She states, unimpressed with his bad language.

"So, how did you save this dumbass?" Nathan asks, pointing to Tyler.

"I saved him from a slight misunderstanding with Maddox, my cousin J.J. and my friend Logan." I answer, vaguely.

"You should have seen it, she owned Maddox. She told him to leave me alone and he listened." Tyler says, shaking his head. "We'd better get going, guys, if we're going to make it back to the house on time. It was good seeing you again, Hadley. Please, don't tell Maddox I talked to you, he'll definitely make good on his threat to kill me if he knew."

"Good to see you, too. I wont, take care." I reply.

Getting up from the table, he walks over to me and hands me a piece of paper. "Call me if you ever need anything, I owe you big time." Then he kisses my cheek and walks out of the restaurant with all of his buddies following him.

We order food and talk about the upcoming school year. I want to get an apartment by school but my aunt thinks it's a waste, I kind of agree. I just don't want to be a burden to them. We talked about going to get me a car but I want to wait until I turn eighteen, which is in two days, then I'll be able to access my inheritance. Aunt Mary agreed to take me the day after my birthday to get one.

We make it home from our shopping trip at 5:30, so I go straight to my room to get ready for poker night at the frat house.