Ch. 62

"Let me buy this house for you, please. I know you love it and it's perfect for the baby. The one I liked won't do, is not as open and you’re right, it doesn't look like a home."

"Maddox." I press exasperated.

"Hadley." He says seriously.

I look at him and he's just so eager to do this. I know there's no way I'll change his mind. "Fine, but you didn't get to see the gym and the office. I think you'll really like those rooms."

"There was a gym? Upstairs?" He asks interested.

"Yes, and it was big. I'm sure you'll fill it up." I say grinning.

"I will." He agrees smiling.

We pull into the real estate office and we get out of the car and walk into the building. I look at my phone. Chris still hasn't called and it’s twelve in the afternoon all ready. We walk into Lindsay’s office and she gets all the paperwork together.

"I need to use the restroom, I'll be right back." I nod that I heard and he leaves.

A minute later I hear Lindsay say, "You know, most women would be grateful their rich boyfriend wanted to buy them the house they loved." Lindsay says obviously not liking me.

"I am grateful, but I want him to like it, too. That's what I care about."

"Well forgive me, but you’re coming off as a spoiled brat."

"Oh? You’re coming off as a little jealous." I reply.

"What are you, like eighteen? It's a little slutty to get knocked up. Not to mention, it's in poor taste to trap a man with a baby. Look at you, he deserves better than you. I bet I could change his mind." She says challenging me.

"Try one thing on him and I'll shove your head so far up-"

"Hadley, we're leaving." Maddox interrupts. Turning to Lindsay he says, "You’re fired." Standing by Maddox is a man and his mouth is hanging open.

"No, Mr. Kahn, please. We can get you a new realtor, one that is more professional than Miss Schwartz." The man begs.

"Why would I do any business with you? Look at your employee's behavior. She insulted my fiancée." Maddox's voice rises angrily.

"She will not work at this office anymore." The man promises.

I hear Lindsay gasp and I turn to her. "What did you honestly expect?" I ask. She stays silent but she is turning red and glaring at me, I laugh. "This is your fault, you can stop glaring."

Maddox takes my hand and walks out of the room, the man follows us. "Please wait, Mr. Kahn, we will have her dealt with immediately. I will put another employee on your account and you can get the house you want. Please."

Maddox stops and turns back to the man. "Tell whoever to start the paperwork. I'm going to go calm down. We'll be back in a minute. Put down full asking price, cash, with closing in a week, contingent on home inspection." Maddox orders and we exit the building.

He takes a deep breath and pulls me in his arms. "I knew I should have fired her as soon as I saw her. I just didn't want to ruin our day."

"Yeah, I didn't want to say anything either. I just wanted a day with no stress."

He laughs without humor. "She was pretty obvious wasn't she?"

"Yes, very." I agree.

"Okay, let's buy this house and go home. I'm starving so we'll stop for something on the way home. What sounds good to you?"