Ch.30

Pulling up to Maddox's condo I see its 5:15. "We're late. I hope he's not here yet."

"He's here but I texted him back at the Parkers and told him we'd be a little late." Maddox comments before getting out of the car.

I don't wait for him and get out meeting him in front of the car. He gives me a look but doesn't say anything and we walk into the building and get in the elevator. I'm nervous about meeting his grandfather. He hasn't made it seem like a big deal but they have to be close. Maddox hasn't mentioned any other family but him.

Lost in my own thoughts, I realize the elevator stopped when Maddox takes my hand and squeezes it reassuringly. I see a handsome man in his mid-sixties at the counter in the kitchen. Maddox and him share the same square jaw and high cheekbones. I smile thinking about how handsome Maddox will be when he's his grandfather's age.

He starts walking towards us, "Hello, I'm Henry Kahn, Maddox's grandfather. You must be Hadley." He introduces himself. He smiles holding out his hand.

I smile and shake his hand. "Hello, it's nice to meet you, Mr. Kahn."

"Beautiful and polite, a rare find. Call me Henry," He says, then looks at Maddox. "I always knew you'd make a great politician." Maddox scoffs and I'm confused. "What kind of schmoozing did you use to land yourself this one?"

I laugh and Maddox grins. "Hadley likes my glasses actually."

"Well, to each their own." Henry replies grinning. "I think we should order food and I want to learn more about your friend here." He says, to Maddox.

"Chinese okay with you, Hadley? My grandfather has only one weakness. Chinese food." Maddox asks.

"Sounds good." I answer.

"What do you like?"

"Sweet and sour chicken." I say.

"Is pineapple your favorite fruit?" He asks, curiously.

I smile. "Yep."

"You'd really have to love it to put it on pizza." He replies, smiling. He pulls out his phone and places our order.

"Let's go in the living room and talk." Henry offers leading the way. "So, Hadley, tell me about yourself." He says when we both sit.

"What would you like to know? I'm not good at this type of thing." I explain, nervously.

I hear Maddox walk closer after hanging up the phone. "She doesn't like to talk about herself." Maddox warns Henry.

"I thought all women liked to talk about themselves." He jokes, winking at me.

"She's not like everyone else." Maddox replies, leveling his eyes on Henry.

"I gathered," Henry comments, slightly amused by Maddox's behavior. "Are you planning on going to school at UCLA, Hadley?"

"Yes, I'll be starting this semester. I plan on getting my nursing degree here."

"Any particular field?"

"Neonatal." I answer.

"Working with new born babies, a very demanding job. Also has to be a very rewarding field. I admire anyone working in the medical field. It's hard work."

"Yes, I agree." I say, smiling.

"Why neonatal in particular?"

"Well, I just really wanted to be a part of something special and there's nothing more special than the very day someone's born. I want to be there to see families come together, families completed or families just started. I guess I want to be a part of that special time no matter how small it may seem." I answer, honestly.