14

The ceremony for Lo'ak was today, and I was beyond excited. Mine would be tomorrow, so then we could finally mate! I put on one of my best outfits, it was white with gold jewelry, and set off towards Home Tree. I practically skipped with joy most of the way, and saw Neytiri fussing over Lo'ak off to the side. I smiled and ran over to them, holding up the bowl of paint in my hands.

"Look what I have!" I said giddily. "Here, sit," I told Lo'ak. "Don't worry, I got this," I said to Neytiri and smiled, she smiled back and walked away; obviously nervous.

Lo'ak fiddled with his hands as he sat on the ground, waiting for me to paint him. "Are you nervous?" I asked calmly and started to paint the intricate patterns on his body.

"Hell yes," he replied, but he seemed distracted by something. I looked him in the eye curiously and saw him blush and look away.

I smirked and continued, then running the paint over his lips. He made intense eye contact with me during this, and I blushed, trying to not meet his eyes.

"Ma Li'laak," Lo'ak mumbled beneath my fingers.

"Mmhhmm?" I hummed in reply.

"I love you," he abruptly said, "a lot."

I stopped my finger movements, staring at him in schock. But then a smile took over my face, "I love you too, a lot."

He returned my smile and started to lean into me, but I put my fingers back on his lips. "Not in public," I signed, "the Tsahik is watching my love."

He rolled his eyes and let me continue my work. Knowing sign language was very useful, we could talk secretly without anyone knowing, except for our family and the Metkayina.

A few hours later, I stood with the rest of the clan, nervously waiting for Lo'ak's arrival. And soon, there he was. He slowly came into view, wearing an emarald green loincloth and some arm bands, with his entire body covered in white patterns. I was a little taken aback at his appearance, he just looked so good.

He walked up to stand in the middle of the tree, and Tarsem said a few ceremonial words, then placing his hands on Lo'ak's shoulder. Neytiri did the same with tears in her eyes, the rest of the Sully's followed suit. I also put my palms on his bare skin, looking up at him with admiration, and he kept his eyes solely focused on me the whole time.

- - -

Now, it was my turn, my day. Just as the previous day, me and Lo'ak sat across from each other. But this time, Lo'ak was the one painting me.

My heart fluttered at every touch, even though he had touched me a million times. It was always as if it was the first.

His fingers lightly brushed my lips and chest, which I could tell he was holding back from kissing. I chuckled in amusement, and he rolled his eyes, signing to me, "I cannot help it!"

- - -

I wore a black top and bottom, that was made out of a sort of sheer-see-through material. I also wore many silver necklaces and bracelets, which matched my hair.

I took a deep breath as I saw the clan come into eyesight. But my nerves relaxed as I saw Lo'ak staring at me, stunned at my beauty. I took graceful and elegant steps towards my father.

My father: my mood was instantly crushed. I did not think that he would be performing the ceremony, but now that I thought about it, it was the only reasonable thing. Years of built-up rage started to rise from my toes, causing my eyes to water. I tried to keep my composure, and tilted my chin upwards while giving a disgusted look at the man standing in front of me that was supposed to be my father.

I glanced around and saw Neytiri's loving gaze on me. But for a moment, I did not see Neytiri, I saw my own mother: Ionia, and all the beauty she was. But she was dead. A wave of guilt consumed me as I realized I had barely thought of her in a while, but she should've been here, she should've.

I recognized Lo'ak's hands on me and snapped back to reality. I assumed that Tarsem had already recited the words, and that I was now a woman in my clan. I tried to feel happy but failed. All I could feel was nothingness. What was wrong? What was happening? This moment is what I had been desperately waiting for for the past 2 years! I was supposed to be bursting with joy!

- - -

My spirits had lifted when Lo'ak led me away. But we were interrupted by a celebration of us. I convinced Lo'ak to go, and I joined the crowd as he sat down next to Neteyam.

I danced along with everyone else, swaying and swishing in the cultural ways of the Omatikaya. I could feel Lo'ak's stare on me and beckoned for him to come join me. He blushed and shook his head, finally joining me after Neteyam harshly pushed him, receiving a hiss and kick from his brother.

"You look so hot right now," Lo'ak singed to me when he approached me, taking my hands in his and twirling me around.

I laughed and signed back, "Ah, but I could say the same."

"So formal," Lo'ak tsked, speaking out loud once again.

The celebration lasted far into the night, but me and Lo'ak were still very lively. We both had been looking forwards to this night for very, very long.

I giggled as I mounted behind him on his Ikran, embracing the feeling of freedom that was taking over my body. I would finally be able to feel and see all of Lo'ak soon, and we did not even have to ask for permission to go out anymore. We could even get our own home!

We soared through the trees, and I gaped at the gorgeous sight, no matter how many times I saw it, it always amazed me. I felt the same about Lo'ak.