27

It was the next day and I was travelling through the mountains with Neteyam, on my way to get a new Ikran. Now that Jake was the Olo'eyktan again, it was once again Neteyam's job to guide people to the banshees, seeing he was next in line to be the chief.

I took a deep breath as we neared the cave that would lead to the animals. I was not afraid of taming them, that part came easy to me, but what I was afraid of, was having an Ikran that was not Zelay.

Lo'ak and Tsireya arrived at the cliff on Lo'ak's Ikran, Tsireya still scared to death. Lo'ak dismounted, thanking his Ikran and then running over to me as Neteyam rushed to Tsireya's side.

"You ok?" Lo'ak asked me, both hands on my shoulders. I nodded solemnly, not making eye contact. "Hey, Zelay is with Eywa, she is happy. She would want you to be too, ok?" My ears perked up at these words, and a little bit of the sadness in my eyes faded away. Lo'ak pecked me on the lips, one hand lifting my chin up. "You'll be fine," he gave me a reassuring smile then returned to Tsireya.

I carefully made my way across the wet ledge, making my presence known to the wild Ikrans. I swung my rope threateningly as I parted the crowd, Ikrans diving off left and right.

A purple one caught my eye as it turned to look at me, growling challengingly. It looked just like Zelay. I blinked back tears and Neteyam, Tsireya's, and Lo'ak's cheering helped me continue. I hissed back, taking daunting steps forward.

I knew that the surprise tactic worked best for taming, so I suddenly swung the rope around the Ikran's mouth, clamping it's jaws shut. With the momentum, I swung myself over, swinging my body forward so that my queue would fall over my shoulder.

I scrunched my face in concentration, trying to use my free hand to grab the thrashing creatures queue. Finally, I connected them and the violent movements ceased, to many cheers from the teenagers watching. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, soaking in my newfound connection.

I opened my eyes to see a very proud Lo'ak smiling at me. I had an idea that I knew would give Tsireya a heart attack, I was known for my insane Ikran tricks. I winked at Tsireya, then dove off the cliff, going completely silent and disappearing from their sight.

I heard Tsireya's shocked gasp and Neteyam and Lo'ak's laughter at her surprise. I resurfaced from my dive, coming back in eyeline. I turned to laugh at Tsireya, who hugged, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

Lo'ak mounted his Ikran, still smiling brightly and joined me in the air. Neteyam and Tsireya followed close behind him, and I decided to show off even more. It had been so long since I had the chance to do what I was most skilled at, and couldn't help myself from bragging just a little bit.

"Watch this!" I yelled over my shoulder. I took my bow and arrows from their holds, then carefully standing up on the back of my Ikran. I saw a bird and squinted my eyes, carefully aiming at it. I instructed my Ikran to stay steady and level, and shot the flying animal. I put my weapons back in place and gave my Ikran directions, then disconnecting our queues and diving after my prey.

"LI'LAAK!" Tsireya screamed.

I let out a series of yips and yelps to showcase my victory as I caught the rapidly-falling creature. My Ikran followed my instructions and soon flew under me, me landing gracefully on its back and connecting our queues once again.

I returned to everyone, waving my catch in their face with an 'I'm better then you' smile. Lo'ak rolled his eyes, calling out, "Show off!"

I chuckled and came close enough to Tsireya and Neteyam for her to scream at me. "My Eywa Li'laak you're scaring the shit out of me!" I raised my eyebrows at her chose of words, looking to Neteyam. He just shrugged with a prideful smile, I giggled knowing that he had been teaching her curse words.