25

"Let me go!" I snarled as Tarsem dragged me violently off. He did not say anything until we arrived at my old home tree.

"You will stay with me now." He stated, pointing to the ground after he threw me on the ground. "No more leaving for the reef, no more being around that cursed family you think that you are a part of. At all."

I sat on the ground, shocked at his words. "You cannot do that! I am an adult!"

He scoffed, "Watch me." I gritted my teeth, glaring at him, plotting my escape. "We will find a way to break the mate bond between you and alien. Faeu will be your new mate."

My mouth fell open and my fists clenched, "NO!" I screamed, getting up and trying to push past him. I had almost made it away, but he grabbed onto my arm again, looking straight ahead.

"You know what will happen if you try to leave," he said calmly. "Come, it is dinner time. I have something very important to announce." He smirked slightly as he turned around, standing behind me. Then gripping onto my shoulders and forcing me to walk forwards.

As we walked, my hand reached up to my knife. "You idiot girl," Tarsem spat as he noticed what I was trying to do. "It's not worth the consequences."

I bit back tears, knowing he was right. I tried my best to not have a panic attack right then and there, achieving my mission, I walked into the communal area with a blank expression. I saw the Sully's immediately jump up and approach me and my father. But Tarsem took an assertive step in front of me. I drained out their words as they argued, looking at Lo'ak with pleading and longing eyes.

He kept mouthing to me, "It's ok, it's ok." Over and over again, to which I would just shake my head and close my eyes, knowing it was not. I also knew that there was nothing I could do to get out of my situation, except for one possibility. I pushed it to the back of my mind, my own horrific thought scaring me.

Without registering it, I was now sitting in between Faeu and Tarsem. Tarsem stood up, calling everyone's attention. "I have something to announce! My daughter, Li'laak, and Faeu are now betrothed!" Gasps echoed through the crowd at these words.

Lo'ak stood up immediately, Neteyam holding him back. "You son of a bitch," his voice cracked as he glared at Tarsem. Faeu smirked at Lo'ak, Neteyam now having to stand up to keep Lo'ak where he was.

I simply looked to the ground blankly, still thinking about what I was going to do. That same horrific thought repeating in my mind.

"You cannot break the mate bond!" Mo'at spoke up.

"That is where you come in," my father looked at the Tsahik, who merely scoffed.

"I will not."

"Oh yes, you will."

"Tyrant!" she snarled.

Tarsem just smirked, then returned to sitting down. Calmly eating his food like nothing had just happened.

The rest of the meal was a blur; I was still lost in my thoughts. A war occurred in my head until I came to a determined decision. Once we arrived back at the hut, I mustered up the courage to speak.

"I'm going to bathe," I spoke with one foot out the door. "What, are you going to follow me?" I asked with attitude when Tarsem didn't respond.

"Don't speak to me like that!" He yelled, then taking a deep breath and continuing. "If you do anything other then bathe, I swear to-"

"Mmhhmm," I responded and started to walk, stopping as I realized my mistake.

"Do not speak over me!" He roared.

"I thought you had finished-"

"Stop talking back! Go! Bathe! If any word gets back to me of you doing anything other than bathing I will kill you, understand?" I nodded, "WORDS."

I gulped, "Yes," a part of me had to retaliate, so as I walked away, I muttered sarcastically, "sir." I hoped he didn't hear and I hoped he did at the same time.

I attempted to calm myself down as I walked, knowing what I was about to do was insane, and if I failed, I would be done for. I tried to push all of the 'if'' questions out of my mind, then arriving at my designated destination.

I took my knife out of its hold and cut an herb, uprooting it from the ground. After that, I took a pestle out of my pouch and grinded the plant up. I bit my lip as I slipped it in my empty pouch, going through the next part of my plan.

I walked to a nearby pond and slipped out from clothes after I confirmed no one was around. I only dipped under the water once, just for the delusion that I did in fact bathe. I got out and put my clothes back on, shivering as I made my way back home, from coldness and from fear.

When I returned to the hut, I asked for permission to go and get some water. I travelled a short distance to a water hole with two small wooden bowls in my hands. I dipped them in the water, filling them up. Next, I placed them on the ground and emptied the contents of my pouch into one of them, stirring it so it dissolved clearly.

I took shaky breaths as I took the same route back, hoping he wouldn't notice that the water was different. I gulped as I stood over Tarsem, handing him the bowl.

I took a sip of my water first to encourage him to drink his, still hovering over him nervously. He also took a sip and I waited with bated breath to see if it would work.

Tarsem looked up at me with a raised eyebrow, "Why are you standing like that?"

"Oh," I mumbled and quickly walked away, finishing my water and climbing in my bed. I started to cry as I realized my plan had not succeeded. Fear washed over me as I caught myself crying over not being able to-

I heard a loud thud and jumped out of my bed, now being able to see Tarsem twitching on the floor.