41

My dreams were worse that night- now being heightened from the fact of being in Sky People's vicinities and that Jake and Neteyam were currently searching for them.

I had no idea if they would come back home- and no one else did either.

One of the many reasons (but a very prominent one) that I had not hesitated to return- was how hard it was to sleep.

I was alone. In the open forest- with no protection but myself.

So mostly, during my nights spent away from my clan- I just walked, avoiding my restless and violent sleep at all costs.

My eyes shot open and my vision blurred from tears and confusion.

Gasping for breath- I sat up and hugged my knees to my chest, while bringing my fingers to the roots of my hair.

I began to shakily sob and leaned my head back with closed wet eyes- trying to gather myself.

I soon felt arms wrap around my waist and I snapped away- on edge.

"Hey, hey- it's just me baby. It's me," Lo'ak reassured, holding his arms out in front of him.

I relaxed and dropped my head into my hands- starting to cry again. "Ma Lo'ak-" I wailed through my hands while he scooted closer to me.

He wrapped his arms around my hips and easily picked me up- pulling me towards his body. My chest was now flush against his and my limbs wrapped around him tightly as I cried.

"Shhh," he hummed while running his fingers through my hair and drawing comforting circles with his thumb on the small in my back.

After a few minutes- I had calmed down, now completely sure that I was safe with Lo'ak.

I slid down and slightly away from his body, rubbing my soaked eyes with my fists. Meanwhile, Lo'ak started to rub his hands up and down the sides of my torso as I did so.

I sighed heavily, crossing my legs and slouching over them. I looked up to Lo'ak with bleary eyes, and he peered down at me questioningly.

"How did you sleep without me?" He asked teasingly- but also lacing his question with enough curiosity for me to answer seriously.

I decided to reply bluntly, "I wasn't."

Lo'ak's head snapped to me- eyes now locked with mine. "What?!"

I shrugged, starting to fidget with my fingers. "I was too scared too," I whispered wobbly.

Lo'ak pouted his lips- eyes now clouded over with sympathy for his mate. "Aw baby," he cooed. I darted my eyes away from him for whatever reason- feeling stupid for not being able to do something so simple because of fear.

I hated how afraid I was of Sky People. But I couldn't help it- just like how afraid I had been of Tarsem- no matter how much I tried not to be and how much I hated it.

"Come here," he opened his arms wide and moved his legs out in front of him. I crawled in between his legs, the side of my forehead resting on his collar bone as I hugged my knees to my chest.

My side pressed against his front, and he held me in his arms almost like I was a baby.

"I'm not a baby," I grumbled, putting on a frustrated face. Lo'ak breathily chuckled, squeezing his hold around me.

I leaned back on his bicep so he could now see my face. He had on a toothy smile- showing off his fangs. A few braids fell crossways over his face as he tucked mine behind my ear, placing a peck on my temple.

He whispered something as he pulled away, "You're my baby."

I felt my heart flutter- my stomach swarming with butterflies as a deep blush settled across my cheeks. Lo'ak smiled even more at my reaction, and he took my jaw in his hand, pulling me in for a deep kiss.