¹⁴

The trio was now at the police station, Violet was sat down on a chair in front of Shoupe as the guys were around her. JJ grabbed the with the gun and laid it in front of Shoupe. The three teenagers held their breath, while Shoupe just kept looking at the gun. Violet looked at JJ with hope in her eyes, he gave her a soft smile and all of them glued their eyes on Shoupe. Who finally decided to say something.

"So y'all telling me that this is the firearm that Rafe Cameron killed Peterkin with?"

"That's exactly what we're telling you Shoupe." JJ said and Pope got closer to the table.

"And the exact same firearm that Ward jusy used to kill Gavin." Shoupe sighed and looked at them once again.

"And where's that corpse again?" Vi almost laughed in his face. Why the hell were the police in this damn city so corrupted.

"Are you saying that you didn't even look for him?" Vi asked Shoupe and he quickly started talking.

"I checked the hospital, i went by his house. He was out." Shoupe said like it made some fucking sense.

"He was out?" Violet asked not believing Shoupe.

"No shit! Cause he's dead, alright!" JJ raised his voice at Shoupe while Vi also started talking to Shoupe, and begging him to listen to them. Shoupe quickly raised his finger and pointed at them.

"He's not in his damn home, does not mean he was a victim of a homicide." Violet once again felt the hope leaving her body, on it's place came the hole of hopelessness and misery. She was in his damn office, soaked to the bone with sewage water, begging him to fucking to his job. And he wasn't doing it, it was pissing her off.

"Are you at least gonna send it in for ballistics and shit, or you're just gonna sit on your ass?" Vi shouted at him pointing at him, she was angry. Pope was angry. JJ was mad at this point. Nobody listens to them. Nobody.

"He's just gonna sit there and wax this damn mustache!" JJ shouted and pulled his hat down, angrily scrunching it in his hand, his knuckles turning white. "Is that even real?"

Shoupe quickly got up, clearly unamused and he finally felt attacked, he felt offended. Violet couldn't believe that he felt offended from a comment about his damn moustache than a fucking Sheriff not doing his job.

"JJ shut up!" Pope shouted at JJ who just scoffed and asked if he had hurt his feelings. Shoupe just walked to the door and opened it. Violet turned around to look at him and then down to her feet. She shook her head as Shoupe told them to get out and that they were smelling up his office. She could feel the tears trying to get out, once again. She sniffed and stood up walking to Shoupe, still shaking her head.

"Did Ward bribe you?" She asked softly and looked at the boys. "This doesn't make any sense." Violet grabbed her bag and walked out of the office, followed by JJ and soon enough Pope. This just couldn't be happening? Why was no one listening to them?

"I just need to get high and have a shower, at this point." Violet said as they walked towards her car.

"I want to go home." Pope said and Vi nodded.

"I'll drop you off. And probably go to the Chateau to take a shower, can't go home looking like this." Pope jumped in the back while JJ opened the passenger door and jumped in also, Violet fixed the towel on the seat, to not get it dirty and opened the windows, cause her car smelled like sewage. "JJ where to?"

"Well since the Chateau is my summer home I sleep there now." Violet giggled and started the car.

"I just can't believe that they are not listening to us." Pope said and shook his head.

"Yeah man. Treating us like garbage, we didn't even do nothing." JJ said and pulled the seat back, hitting Pope on the head in the process.

"Jesus Christ JJ." Pope groaned with a hand on his head. JJ started apologising but Pope just told him to shut up. Pope was exhausted and sick of being mistreated. Violet pulled the car next to his car and he quickly jumped out.

"At least we cleaned up some garbage, Kie would be proud of you Pope." Vi shouted and Pope just scoffed.

"We'll be at the Chateau man! If you two decide to come you can, you know!" JJ added and Pope stopped to look at them.

"I'll be sure to call JJ, cause i still have nightmares from the last time I showed up without you two knowing I was coming! I cry myself to sleep with that memory, man!" Pope shouted at them as JJ and Vi just looked at each other, feeling the heat on their cheeks. Clearly both of them remembered what Pope was talking about and it has now become awkward.

Vi cleared you her throat and quickly turned on her Car Thing and played a playlist driving away.

"Want to stop for snacks?"

"Yeah sounds good." Vi giggled and quickly turned the car around, driving towards the gas station, she opened her tank up and jumped down, JJ jumped out also.

"I'll pump her up." He said and Violet looked at him with a big smile on her face. He chuckled and grabbed the pump.

"Want anything in particular?"

"One Monster would be fine." She nodded and walked in the gas station. While Violet was looking around wondering what to get themselves, JJ opened the door and his curiosity got the best of him, so when he sat on the seat, he stuck his hand underneath the seat and he finally felt something, he pulled it up hoping that it was what he was looking for. His smile grew bigger on his face when he indeed saw the little note in his hand writing. The glue on the back of it has worn out at this point but there was a piece of paper tape on the top of it. She had made sure that it was going to stay there, he was wondering if the one underneath her seat was also there. He noticed her walking out of the gas station, and quickly put it back on it's place and grabbed his phone, trying to play it cool.

"Hola." She said and jumped in the car quickly starting it up and driving away.

"Oh yeah, speak french to me." JJ said and light up a blunt. Violet started to laugh and made him a sign to give the blunt to her. She took a drag and gave it back to JJ, who looked at her weird.

"Wrong language JJ." JJ finally understood what he head said and just started to laugh out loud. JJ's laugh was something she could listen to everyday.

She looked at him for a second, he was laid on her seat, smoking his blunt and singing to himself. Just like old times. She had missed this.