¹⁹

The not so talkative Kie, has now turned into an 'can't quiet shut up' Kiara on the ferry. Vi was rolling a joint, while Kie was telling them all about the argument she and her parents had. Pope was looking at the envelope almost the entire time, while JJ was being JJ, jumping around and smoking weed, currently waiting for Vi to finally roll the joint.

"My parents are being so paranoid of me being a pogue, like it's the worst thing that could ever happen." JJ jumped and sat next to Vi on the roof of the car.

"I hear they got good weed at boarding school, though." Vi let out a chuckle and handed him the rolled joint.

"I'm not going to boarding school. They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up and throw me in a van." JJ lit the joint and gave it to Kie.

"What about we just crumble some herbs right now?" He said and returned to his spot next to Vi.

"Have you tried calling John B back on that number?" Pope asked looking at Kie.

"I called it at least hundred million times." Kie said and JJ chuckled looking at Vi.

"That's quite a few times." He chuckled which made Violet chuckle as well. The couple was once again high. Just like old times.

"Some lady at some hotel keeps answering."

"Until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name. Right now this letter is our best bet."

"Right. Stay on task." JJ said and started nodding his head. "That's why I love you Pope." JJ and Vi watched as Kie stood up going towards Pope with the joint.

"What Pope are you gonna be today?" Pope shook his head looking away.

"I'm good."

"Good Pope." Vi said with a smile.

"Boring Pope." Kie sighed and took a seat next to Vi.

"I'll take that." Vi said and Kie gave it to her.

"It was my turn." JJ cried from next to her. "I gotta do tricks now. Roll over boy." JJ joked with a big smile on his face.

"Sit." Vi said laughing as JJ sat down and started barking. "Try to catch a fish. Catch a fish." He kept on playing along and then they started to laugh. He took a drag from the joint and all of them calmed down. Now were just laying down and enjoying the ride.

An hour later the group passed a sign that read 'Charleston', Vi and Kie were almost sitting on top of each other in between Pope and JJ. JJ was looking out of the window while Kie and Vi were once again reading the letter.

"We've read this thing like a thousand times, it still makes no sense." Vi said and let her long hair fall freely from the trap of the tight pony tail she had put it in and massaged her scalp. She could feel JJ's eyes burn on her, when she looked at him, he tried to play it cool and quickly look away. "The Limbrey's are like the kook kings of Charleston." Vi pointed out. "What do the kings of Charleston  know about a murder on Kildare Island?" JJ nodded as well, while Pope kept looking at the road.

"Yeah. Why you specifically? That's the other thing." Vi looked at Pope as Kie continued.

"Please come alone? That's hella sus."