²¹

"They're fancy people. They've had three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years." Kie said when Vi stopped in front of the Limbrey's estate. They all looked at it in awe.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ said and one by one they all exited the car and stood in front of the big house and metal gates. Violet looked around. She had never been to Charleston before, it was beautiful here. "You sure this the place Pope?" Pope nodded.

"27th King Street."

"Talk about home security." Vi said as she looked around the house.

"Are those spikes to keep people out?" Kie and Pope shook their heads.

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope pointed out.

"The spikes are to keep people in." Kie said and Vi and JJ looked at each other, she slowly moved closer to him, when Pope opened the gate and grabbed his hand. He squeezed it and smiled down at her.

The four teenagers made their way towards the front door and Pope grabbed the metal ring and started banging it on the door. The three bangs echoed so loud it even scared them

  "You think that was too much?" Pope asked and looked around at his friends.

"It echoed the entire house, that's for sure." JJ said.

"So they definitely heard it." They waited few more seconds and Pope started banging on the door again.

"Maybe nobody's home." Vi said just as the door opened. A creepy looking man showed himself and quickly smiled. His smile gave Vi the creeps. The man looked at Pope and pointed at him.

"You must be Pope." He said and the four of them shared a look. How did he know?

"Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Miss. Limbrey, was expecting you yesterday."

"Yeah, uhm. My car broke down on the way here." JJ quickly started explaining what was wrong with the car, but the man just started talking over him.

"She was real upset, when you didn't show up." The man said and looked at Pope. Only at Pope. He was creeping them out, his vibe was off.

"She also expected you to come alone." He said and finally looked at the others.

"These are my friends, they helped find the Royal Merchant too, I.." Pope started but the man stopped him abruptly.

"The instructions were clear. Your friends can wait outside."

"We are kind of like a packaged deal, sorry." JJ said and Pope shook his head, looking at him.

"JJ, it's okay. I got this."  Pope said and turned to Kie who looked very worried. Vi and JJ let them have their moment and walked to the car. JJ jumped at the driver's side while Vi and Kie next to him.

"This dude was giving off serial killer vibes. I'm sorry but I had to say it." Vi said and JJ nodded.

"What could they possibly have, to prove that John B's innocent, and why would they care?" Kie asked and they shrugged their shoulder. Those were great question, but unfortunately they did not have the answers.