²³

The night was going great. Violet was rolling a joint, while being sat at the end of the jacuzzi laughing at the boy's freestyle, she lit the joint and just as clock work JJ quickly got in to the water and sat in front of her, tugging on her leg for her to follow him and she did. He looked at her and she could see how his eyes were sparkling, she giggled and laid her head on his shoulder for a moment but then snapped out of it. She handed him the joint but he chose to not take it but instead take a drag from her hand, while she was holding it. He looked at her and she smiled at him taking another drag, the drug clearly working and making every single worry float away from her brain to another planet or maybe even an universe. When the night got chillier, they moved next to the fire and the boys were wrestling on the ground while the girls were smoking the joint and drinking their beers. JJ noticed that Vi looked like she was cold. He walked to her and got closer to her.

"There's a sweater in the house on the couch, want me to go grab it for you?" She shook her head and he started to walk towards the house.

"J. I'll get it, go have fun." She said and he quickly kissed her cheek and jumped at Pope. She stood there with red cheeks for a second and quickly snapped out of it once again. He probably did it unknowingly.

She walked to the house and grabbed the hoodie, she saw Pope and Kie walk down to the boat and she smiled big, then walked to the fridge to grab another beer, while still hearing her friends' laughter. She grabbed her phone and started texting her dad, she told him that they were back, but were currently having a little movie night and were trying to figure out Pope's essay. While she was texting her dad, she saw a light come from one of the windows that was facing the roads. She quickly put her phone in her back pocket and heard a car door. She didn't think for a second to run out for her friends. The chickens were going crazy, so they probably didn't hear it, but by the looks of it John B has.

"Did you hear that?"

"The chickens?" JJ asked.

"That was a." John B started and Violet finished the sentence for him, when she ran towards them.

"A car door yes." JJ mimicked the rooster and John B put a palm on his mouth to muffle him.

"We gotta hide." John B whispered and all of them looked around.

"John B. Where?" Sarah asked, the panic clearly heard in her voice.

JJ grabbed Vi's hand and looked around then up at the tree. Violet shook her head.

"We have no choice. John B, Sarah. The tree."

All of them quickly climbed the tree, Violet was close to Sarah, JJ was on a branch next to hers and John B was next to Sarah. Not long after they had taken their places on the branches of the tree, they saw the intruder. It was Rafe. Violet looked down at him then up at JJ.

Breaking glass was heard, the lights flickered and the door got kicked down by no other than Barry. Violet was scared. The two of them were fucking crazy.

"Anything?"

"Ain't no shit in there."

"No? Nothing?"

"No. Nothing, Rafe!"

"They were obviously just here based off the smoke man!"

"Yeah, yeah. Great observation Boy Scout!" Barry shouted at Rafe.

"They can't be far man."

"Smokey the bear! Look at you bruh!" Violet looked at JJ who just put a finger in front of his lips to signal for her to stay quiet. Then down at Rafe again. He was pointing at the sign on the tree with a gun in his hand.

"Your sister's a pogue for life, huh Rafe? Now who would've thought." Barry chuckled. Rafe stood there nodding his head. Then he shouted out in frustration, Violet could feel the goosebumps on her skin and she got scared. She was so damn scared.
Rafe fired the gun at the tree and Violet jumped up almost losing her balance, Barry leaped towards him as he fired another shot from which the bullet got stuck into the branch JJ was on, and then another one. All three of them happened in less than a second. But the pain in Violet's hand was not for less than a second, she clenched her jaw and closed her eyes, quickly putting pleasure on her left upper arm, she wanted to scream out from the damn pain, but she couldn't. She could see JJ's eyes and then how the worry changed to anger when he saw the blood, that had painted the hoodie red. She could feel the tears streaming down her cheek. When Barry and Rafe were finally gone, JJ quickly jumped down and helped her down as well, completely ignoring John B and Sarah, the only thing on his mind was to get her down and see how she was. Violet jumped down, if it wasn't for JJ, her feet probably wouldn't have been able to hold her up.

JJ was firing questions after questions in her direction and when the others also caught on to what had happened they had also started with the questions, but all that was on her mind was to get the damn hoodie off of her, she slowly removed it from her arm and sat down on the chair.

"He shot me." She whispered and JJ grabbed her arm, slowly to look at it. She knew that it probably wasn't that bad, cause it wasn't hurting as much now, but she was still pretty much in shock.

"Thank God it just grazed you. Jesus Christ, I almost jumped down on his neck to beat the hell out of him. Are you okay?" JJ asked and grabbed her face making her look from her wound to his eyes. She nodded and he kissed her forehead.

"I'll live I think." She giggled as Sarah ran to the house to find bandages, cause the blood was still pouring down her arm, which was now numb. At least she wasn't feeling anything. "If you roll me another joint that is." JJ and John B laughed at her as she smiled at them and laid back into the chair. JJ put his hands on her face and just kissed her forehead. Then looked down into her eyes.

"You scared me."

She looked at him, and she almost said it. She almost said it back, finally after all this time, but she stopped herself. She couldn't tell him that she loves him. Not now.

Not the right time.