²⁰

"I'm definitely thinking it's the intake vault." Pope said as Vi looked at the engine. Then at the mechanic guy in front of them.

"I can put a rush on it, but it's gonna cost you a little extra." Vi and Pope looked at each other and then at the guy.

"Well I have to take it back home to Kildare Island so, I guess you have to work at it." Pope said and the guy started showing them where and what he needed to do, explaining why it was going to cost a little extra. Showing them the parts, while JJ and Kie were talking in the back, the man told them to come inside and Vi turned to look at JJ, who was already looking at her, she shrugged her shoulders and in they walked.

The man showed them the receipt and Pope looked devastated.

"Three-seventy? Are you serious?" The man nodded and looked at them. Vi pulled out the credit card her dad has given her and swiped it quickly across the little device, which quickly beeped that it was accepted.

"Vi what are you doing?" She smiled at him and put back her card.

"It's okay, Pope. Seriously." Pope just gave her a big hug. The group was pretty tired by the time the truck was fixed, JJ was barely awake and Pope and Kie were deep in thought. Vi grabbed the keys from the man when he was ready with their truck and jumped in it, the group already wanting to get out of there. She started the truck and looked at them.

"Find a place to stay the night?"

"We could just spend it in the car. Stargazing?" Kie asked and Pope nodded.

"That sounds so good I can't wait." Vi said and quickly took off, making JJ jolt from his sleep.

"It's ready? How much did it cost?"

"370."

"370! What the fuck man, pull over this job costs 100 bucks no more! Pull over." JJ started to move around and Vi just told him no.

"It's in the middle of the night JJ, the man was already off work when we showed up, it's fine." Vi said and smiled at JJ, who nodded.

Violet saw a big field in front of them and just stopped in the middle. The group was exhausted and no one really talked, they just grabbed few blankets that laid in the back and their back packs and laid in the open trunk bed. JJ fell asleep with his flask in his hands, which Vi quickly took and looked at him worried, putting it away. Vi pulled out her phone and texted her dad, sending him a picture of the truck in the mechanics and of their little set up, quickly apologising for the huge amount of money she had withdraw, and promising him that she was going to return the amount, by working in the hotel for as much as he needed. He wasn't online, he was probably asleep for a long time now, but she knew that he was going to be worried when she was still not home when he woke up. While scrolling on her apps, she heard Pope say 'goodnight' and then the sound of a kiss. She quickly put her phone down and looked at JJ, who was already looking up at her with a smirk. He turned towards her and wrapped his strong arms around her waist, Violet quickly moved up and gave him a little silent kiss on the lips, and buried her face in the crook of his neck, sleep quickly overtaking her as well.

In the first rays of the morning sun, the group started their journey to Charleston. With Vi on the driving seat this time. They were on the highway which was also a big bridge that led inti Charleston, the sea was underneath them, glimmering in the bright morning sun, not a single wave was in sight. It was beautiful. The east coast has always had a spacial place in her heart. She looked at JJ quickly who was looking past her at the sea, with wondering, tired eyes and a glimmer of hope.

"I wonder where Sarah and John B are right now." He said and Vi looked at him, moving her hand from the shifter to his own and squeezed it. He sighed and dropped his head back on the seat, but kept on holding onto Vi's hand.

They all once again lost their trains of thought, so they just kept their eyes on the road, each and every one of them wondering about the where abouts of their best friends and their well being, while the sound of 'Where'd All The Time Go?' by Dr. Dog was quietly playing from the radio, unsuspecting that in that same moment while they were crossing the bridge, the ones that that had been doing this for, were right there underneath them, crossing the same bridge. Neither group unaware of how close they were to finding each other.

They were so close.

Yet,

so far

away.