Chapter 4 Darkness and Light

Alexandra Daddario as Katie Donovan

I could still feel the chills and goosebumps as I walked down the halls. Luke was probably the most mysterious and creepy person I have ever met. Not to mention his egotistical attitude. Definitely an odd ball. I attempted to put all thoughts of Luke and our little confrontation off my mind as I entered the dance studio and into the changing rooms.

Dance was always my sanctuary. It was where I could relieve stress and be with people who shared similar aspects. It was actually where I met Beth, until she quit our seventh grade year to do basketball. I exited the changing room in my black tights and blue sports bra as I attempted to tie back my red hair into a ponytail. I heard a small smicker as I got down to the white tiled floor for stretching. I looked into the giant dance mirror up front to find my suspicions confirmed.

The individual behind the sound was none other Katie Donovan. Her flowing black hair and ocean blue eyes hid the ugliness in her personality. Her attention turned to her two friends as they would occasionally look back towards me and giggle to themselves. To say Katie and I didn't get along was an understatement. I never understood what her problem with me was. It all started in kindergarden when she teased me for wearing my favorite big blue bow. And Me, being raised by a mother who was busy with work and an older brother, decided to respond by punching her in the face. I understand now that it probably was not the best way to handle the situation. My mother was completely appalled by my action as my grandmother gave me a look of approval and snuck an ice cream into my room.

Katie continued to giggle amongst her peers as I rolled my eyes at her immaturity and continued to stretch by breaking into the splits and reaching for my right toes.

The sound of clapping followed by a thundering voice saying "Alright maggots!" signalled the arrival of Coach Arma. She wore black sweats and a red tank top. Her green eyes were huge and highliated the crow's feet and wrinkles upon her middle-aged face. She ran a hand through her short black hair and screamed, "Let's go ladies! Get into positions"!
I heard another soft snicker as I stood up. I looked to my right and saw Kate staring straight ahead with a grin as all the girls lined up in eight rows of six. "Let's go! You're slower than my grandmother at her bingo parties!"
Coach Arma screamed in the front glaring at each of us.

After all the girls made haste to their spots, Coach Arma continued to hold a scowl as she looked at each one of us, arms folded. "Alright heathens!" ,She hollered, "we are going to run through our acro routine first. And I expect perfection"!

Coach Arma's attention suddenly went to a girl in the second row as her scowl grew. "Miss Matthews! I sure hope that disrespectful eye movement was not meant for me!" She hollered. The girl in the green tank top and black tights shook her head furociously as her blonde curls whipped her face. "Get out of my studio!" Coach Arma hollered pointing to the exit. The girl looked like she was about to speak in defense until Coach Arma released a venemous "Now"! The girl sprinted out of the studio releasing a series of sobs as the door slammed behind her.

That was probably the third time this week Coach Arma sent a girl out crying.

"Now then" the coach said, her attention back on the class, if there is no more unwanted interuptions, let's begin!". She walked over to a small table that held a stereo as she punched the play button. The system expelled a powerful sound with a loud bass line and intense drum sequence as we all performed the choreography.

Throughout the entire practice, Coach Arma was hollering critiques such as "what is wrong with all your arms!" And "you all look like decapitated preying mantices"! The routine was powerful, nimble, and quick as I did a couple of twirls and was about to execute an aerial when I felt a foot hit my right shin causing me to slam to the floor. I held back a scream and signs of pain as my arms lifted me up. I looked over to where the sudden contact occured and saw Katie twirl her hair with a grin whispering a small, "oops".