Chapter 16 Contrast

The soft chime of the bell rang as Luke led me into the hardwooded floor restraunt. His arm was around my shoulders as I leaned into and we steadily made our way into a booth.

I sat down upon the dark green cusion and looked forward expecting the blonde boy to sit across. I was startled when I felt some weight be distributed on the seat and saw Luke sitting beside me, his arm around me.

A short brown haired boy in all black and an apron approached our table with a notepad in hand and a beaming smile. He seemed to be about our age, maybe older. "Welcome to Lucy's Italian Diner" he said with a joy contrasting and oblivious to the tone Luke and I were exhibiting. "Would you like to try our special? Today we have a Baked Ziti for nine ninety-nine and it comes with a side salad and bread".

The boy held out his notepad in eagerness as Luke glanced at me and nudged my hand away from the menu placed on the table in front of me. "I don't think we will be doing that today", Luke said looking at the menu he took from me. The boy nodded with his smile. "Alright what could I get you for you guys today"? Luke looked through the menu for monent, nodded and looked toward the waiter. "I think we will just have a medium pepperoni artisan pizza and two lemonades". I looked at Luke ready to add commentary but he spoke again before I managed to get any words out.

"Do you also have desert"? The brunnete nodded and pointed to the part of the menu that has deserts with his pen. "Yes sir, we have chocolate cake, italian cream cake, canolis-" "I think we will just share a chocolate cake". The boy wrote down the order and smiled. "So we have a medium pepperoni artisan pizza, two lemonades, and a chocolate cake"? Luke nodded, "that's correct". "Do you want us to bring the cake with the pizza sir, or a little later"? Luke shrugged, "about ten minutes after". The waiter nodded and wrote the note down. "Anything else, sir"? "That will be all". "Alright, sir I will have those out shortly". The boy smiled at us again and walked away through the empty restraunt.

I looked at Luke with raised eyebrows. "That was an interesting order". Luke chuckled, "what? You don't like pizza"? I rolled my eyes with a grin, "I do. But it is not exactly healthy. I mean, I'm a dancer Luke, I can only have so many cheat days". Luke laughed at my statement, "hey, I think lemonade is at least healthier than soda". I playfuly nudged him, "whatever dweeb". We laughed to ourselves and said small thank yous to our waiter who placed our two lemonades on the table for us.

The laughter died as we both sipped on our drinks. I looked at Luke with soft eyes. "You didn't have to do this, you know", I said avoiding eye contact. "You don't need to give me pity". Luke rolled his eyes. "Oh for crying out loud, stop with this whole pretending to be strong act and be human for once". I giggled slightly and smirked, "sorry, it's just Beth and Calum-" "Let's not talk about them right now". I looked at Luke with big eyes as he shrugged at me and took another sip of lemonade. "I don't think we should reminisce on any more negativity. Let's talk about something brighter, like your future, any college plans"?

I mentally groaned at the mention of the dreaded C-word. "I guess", I said with an unconvincing voice. Luke raised an eyebrow at me. "You guess"? "Well, I mean, I applied to seven colleges. Three of them are out of state, and the other four in state. I have been rejected from two of the out of state colleges and one in state college". I paused, took a sip of lemonade, and continued as Luke listened intentively. "But I got accepted to three in state colleges at least".

Luke stared at me as if he was waiting for me to go on, but I jist gave him a shy blank stare. "And the other out of state college"? My heart dropped slightly. "Oh right. I haven't heard from it". "Where is it"? I laughed slightly with flushed cheeks, "promise not to laugh". Luke raised his eyebrows with curiousity and nodded. "I applied to Juliard under dance performance".