Chapter 33 When the Moon Rises

"She died"

Those words hung in the air, making the temperature drop at least fifth degrees. Silence consumed the room as it seemed time itself stopped at that very moment.

Luke's eyes remained planted on his bare hands. They trembled at his gaze as he bit his lip nervously.

I eyes him cautiously. Unsure of what was going on in the blonde's head. "Do you blame yourself"?

My question hung in the air as well, as Luke seemed unaffected by my inquiry and made no action of even hearing me.

He spoke shortly afterwards. "She was not supposed to die", he muttered. "She was not supposed to become a demon. She was not supposed to be killer".

Luke's statements seemed to be more directed to himself rather than me as I saw that we were rather chaotic waters.

"What ever happened to Marcus?" I asked urging to change the subject.

Luke's hands grew in fists as his expression hardened, vein popping slightly from his jugular.

He laughed hysterically, scaring me a bit. His eyes landed on mine a smirk plastered on his face.

"Studies have shown that it is unhealthy to hold a grudge", he said, his smirk receding. "It is wonder how Marcus hasn't dropped dead from the two hundred year old grudge he has had over me".

He chuckled again to himself, gazing back down at his hands, smiling at them. "Last time I saw the bastard was in Mexico back in the seventies". Luke's right hand went across his chest. "I can still feel his grip on my heart", he said, "I remember the way his sadistic eyes looked into my soul. Like an animal, capturing his prey".

Luke laughed once again. "But killing me is no longer on Marcus's agenda. Oh no. He wants me to suffer".

I gulped slightly, knowing I was going to regret my next question. "What do you mean"?

Luke returned a cold stare. "Tell me, Katherine, have you ever broken a bone before"?

I nodded, hesitantly.

"And have you ever had that unfortunate moment where the bone was not quite healing right, so you had to break it again"?

My left hand gripped my right ring finger physically remembering. I nodded.

Luke smirked as he leaned forward, he eyes looking pass me. "Well imagine that pain, in every bone in your body. Every day, every time a bone heals, it breaks again".

He laughed again. "Now imagine, your arms and legs being ripped from your body,only to have it heal to be ripped off again".

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as Luke's eyes seemed to darken. He got up from his seat and slowly walked towards me.

"Imagine having wooden stakes be stabbed into your body, every single part that is enough to inflict massive pain but not enough to kill you".

  He annunciated every syllable as he got closer and I sunk further into the couch. Luke placed a hand on either side of me , trapping me, as he glared into my soul.

"Imagine dying, and being brought back to life only to relive hell all over again".

His expression was stone cold as I was scared to breathe, his face inches from mine.

Luke finally broke into his signature smirk before finally stepping away and returning to his seat, allowing to release my breath.

"Yes Marcus definitely has it out for me. Like I said, he was not a big fan of me before he turned". He chuckled again, "vampirism only heightened his hatred towards me, his sadness over his sister's death, and desire for bloodshed".