Chapter 32 She

Unedited

His ocean blue eyes stared down at me  with a hard expression, making his emotions unreadable.

We were in silence as we stood in the room, staring at one another, waiting for the other to speak. Whether Luke's mind was empty or full of activity, I was unsure until he sighed.

"Take a seat" he said to me, nodding towards the couch. I obeyed with a nod as I moved past him and sat down, my eyes staying on his, as if I were to look away, he would vanish.

Luke but his bottom lip, his eyes not meeting mine as he seemed to try to form his words.

"What is it you want to know"?

I sighed. "Luke", I began, "I saw Michael not too long ago". His gaze immediately went to mine, alarmed. "And"?

I hesitated as I nervously twisted a strand hair in by my index finger. "He told me things".

Luke arched an eyebrow as he crossed his arms. "What kind of things"?

I paused and decided to switch tactics as I released a small breath. "Do you truly like being a vampire, Luke"?

For a moment, I saw his eyes widen in shock but then he quickly replaced it with a smirk and chuckle. "What's not to love my dear Katherine," he said in a nonchalant tone. "I mean you are immortal, powerful, can change people's thoughts". He continued to ponder the pros of his lifestyle, listing them off on his fingers. But I could not help but notice how his eyes were never on me. It was almost as if he was trying to convince himself rather than me.

I interrupted him on his list, "But not of that stuff truly matters to you does it"?

He stopped, his expression stone cold. Another pause filled the room as Luke's pale blue eyes stared at his own hands, almost as if they were not his own.

"Luke", I broke the silence, "I think it is time you broke this charade and start talking to me for real". He said nothing, his eyes still transfixed at his own palms.

"Do you enjoy what you are?" I asked again, "do you enjoy being a vampire"?

Another pause filled the room. What was probably only seconds felt like hours before Luke sighed and walked to the chair to my right. He sat down and closed his eyes, placing his hands over his nose mouth. He seemed to be locked in a mental battle.

He finally opened his eyes and moved his hands away from his face, placing them on the arms of the white leather chair.

"I am going to tell you a story", he said, his face serious. "A story that I have not shared with many souls, so I expect you to listen without a single interruption, understand"?

I nodded to him, leaning further on the couch.

Another sigh escaped his full lips before he cleared his throat and began his tale.

"The year was 1819 on the sixteenth of July. It was also, my sixteenth birthday. At the time, there was not much for a young boy in Australia. We were still in the control of Britain and my generation was part of the few, bus fast growing individuals who were native born to fairly young area".

He paused, biting his lip silently and rubbing his palms. "I was fortunate as a child. I grew up with two older brothers and parents who loved us". "What were their names" I asked, intrigued by the image of two older versions of Luke, "your brothers I mean".

Luke raised an eyebrow and pointed an index finger at me. "I thought we agreed no interruptions during story time". I purses my lips and smiled awkwardly, "sorry".