Chapter 18 The Solar Eclipse

I had to find Beth, something was wrong with my bestfriend. My feet scurried around the halls trying to find the blonde haired girl through the crowd. The final bell had rung, meaning I only had so much time to locate Beth before she inevitably left fpr the weekend.

My mind kept going onto the mark on her neck. How deep and red it looked. I thought about the fear in her eyes that contradicted the hatred she displayed. I thought about her warnings and pleas for me to isolate myself from Luke. I didn't understand it, but I had to. Something was up.

I turned from my position and slammed into a hard chest. I stepped back, dizzy from the impact and saw a smirking Luke who seemed unfazed from the incident. "Whoa there! What's the rush?" He said with a chuckle. I swallowed a lump in my throat as I remembered Beth's warning. Stay away from Luke. He is manipulating you. Stay away from him. My eyes looked up at him and saw his welcoming smile. Could there really be truth in Beth's words. I wanted to believe it was a lie. That everything Luke and I have been through was not an act. Part of me did. But the other part still hung onto the pain and sadness Beth exuded. Was what she said the lie? Or was what was right in front of me the lie?

Luke's smile faltered upon seeing my absence of positive response. He scrunched his eyebrows. "You alright?" He inquired, "you look a little pale". Stay away from him. Beth's voice played in my mind. I felt my heart rate beat hard against my chest. Who could I trust? My bestfriend who betrayed me? Or the boy who was there for me but who I have little knowledge about?

I plastered a smile on my face. "Um, nothing, just a little stressed", I said, my eyes avoiding to look into his. "You know, school work and all", I lied throwing in another fake smile. Luke eyed me suspiciously. "Okay then," He said almost in a questioning manner, "so I was thinking, maybe we should rehearse today". He smiled at me and took a step forward, placing my hands in his. "Maybe we could work on a few things, alone", he said suggestively. His cold touch soothed me, but was interupted when the deep gash in Beth's neck came up. My hands evaded his grasp as I stepped back from him.

"Um, actually I can't today", I said, eyes struggling to find his. "I have some..things to take care of". There was a pause as Luke scanned my face. "Then, maybe tomorrow?" He questioned, "after our date"? A smile broke at those last three words. A smile that would make all the girls faint. A smile that almost made me feel guilty for my next words. "I don't know if I can tomorrow", I said, "I have a paper to work on for English" I lied. Luke's smile faded but then returned shortly. "Come on, Kat", he said, taking a step forward, "it's the weekend. Don't you think you could hold it off a bit". He placed a hand on my cheek and began to lean forward. "Do something a bit more...enjoyable" he said as his lips grew closer to mine.

I pulled away from him as our lips missed contact and stepped out of his reach. "How about I text you later", I offered. Luke seemed shocked by my action and for a short moment, I saw a hint of anger and impatience flash in his eyes. "Sure" he said monotonously, "I suppose". I gave a smile, "thanks," I said beginning to walk past him.

My eyes gazed on the clock on the hallway wall. It had been eight minutes since the final bell rang. I had no time to waste. "I'll talk to you later, alright"? Luke looked at me, void of emotion as he nodded. I gave him a weak smile and walked away from him, resuming my search.

My blue book bag whipped against me as I struggled to run in my navy flats and skin tight jeans. My scarlet hair whipped around as I scanned the area, with having no luck finding Beth. Where was she?

My eyes located a boy with raven hair and my heart sank at the sight of him as he held Katie up against him, lips enclosed by his own. I wanted nothing more than to just leave the two and continue on with my life. But they were the only people who could give me a lead on Beth.