Chapter 6 A Shot in the Dark

Calum Hood as Calum Hood

"Why did I agree to this"? Calum watched me awkwardly as I broke into a splits in my black tights and blue workout bra. He would occasionally glance at the other dancers warming up and the other wrangled up students who would fidget and avoid eye contact.

I gave Calum a soft smile as I stretched to my toes. "Because you love me". He glared at me with his eyes narrowed as I giggled at his apprehension. Calum rolled his eyes as his attention was once again placed on the other dancers in the room executing their warm up procedures.

I then noticed Calum in his flip flops. "You're going to have to take those off". His head snapped back at me in terror. I raised an eyebrow at him and indicated his footwear and he sighed in relief as he steadily removed the shoes. "Are you ok"? He nodded, but I noticed that his normally tan skin was slightly pale. I laughed quietly. "Calum, it is ok to be nervous". He glared at me and puffed his chest, "Me nervous? Please. I can handle anything". I rolled my eyes with a small grin. "Whatever".

He held his shoes in his hand and just stood there looking around like a lost puppy. "You can just put those by the door". He looked over at the entryway which I indicated and saw other boys placing their nondance appropriate shoes in a row. He nodded and mimicked their actions. I laughed again to myself as I got on my stomach and raised my top half with my arms to stretch my back.

"Fancy seeing you here". I looked up in front of me and saw the familiar blonde quiff and cocky grin. "Oh, hey", I said, hoping my annoyance was not visible. "What are you doing here?" I asked as I moved to a cross legged position and stetched my arms. Luke folded his arms, "Kelly invited me to be her partner" he said with that same smirk. I looked at him confused, "Kelly O' Neil? How did you two even meet"? He looked at me confused and I rolled my eyes, agitated. "Do you mean Katie"? Realization seemed to hit his face as he nodded, "right, yeah".

I shook my head in disbelief. "You would think a boy would at least have the decency to know the name of the girl he was making out with". He chuckled and he raised an eyebrow. "Do I hear jealousy in that voice". I released a small laugh and looked at him. "Oh no, don't flatter yourself, I'm happy for Katie. Bitch finally gets what she deserves". "I take it you aren't a fan". "That's an understatement".

He chuckled lightly in amusement as I got up on my feet and spreaded my legs apart and reached for my left ankle. I ignored the feeling that Luke was looking at my backside. "If I were you I would avoid her". He chuckled once again. "Oh? And why is that"? I looked up at him and switched over to my right ankle. "Katie doesn't care about you, people are just games to her. She'll probably diss you after she gets in your pants, just like all her other victims who fell for her succubus charm".

His smirk grew. "I think I can handle myself, thanks". I rolled my eyes as I stood up straight and looked into his eyes. "Oh really? Because it seems like she is already manipulating you". His eyebrows raised, "is she now"? My hands were on my hips. "Well she somehow convinced you to be her partner didn't she"? "I wouldn't say we're partners, I mean kissing is not synonymous with proposing". I rolled my eyes for what felt like the thousandth time that week. "I mean for dance", I said, indicating the room we were in with my arms. His lips formed an "o" as if he finally understood, "no, I actually asked her".

I looked at him with perplexity. "You asked to be her dance partner? Why"? He shrugged with a small smile, "what better way to get to know people than trying different activities"? He winked at me as he walked over to Katie who glared at me and looked back at Luke with frustration.

"What was that about"? I looked over and saw Calum, who seemed focused on Luke's back, with clenched fists. I shook my head, "nothing, forget about it. Did you stretch"? My question, however, was not answered as a whistle was blown and all attention was brought to the entryway. Coach Arma stood with a coffee in one hand, clipboard in the other, and held an expression of contempt as she walked to the front in her white sneakers.

"Alright Maggots! Today is the start of our final exam"! Her method of speech was basically a holler which took some of the invited students by surprise. "If you did what I asked, you brought a young sucker in to be your dance partner. Each of you will be given a style of dance and you are in charge of the choreography and music. You all have two months until your final exam day to prepare the routine for The Spring Spectacular ". I saw Calum shake slightly, "The what", he whispered. "Tickets will go on sale for the recital in the beginning of May", Coach Arma said. "If you don't want to look like a dying eel on stage in front of your family and peers, I suggest you rehearse outside of class time".

"Did she say on stage? Family? Peers?" Calum continued to whisper in panic as I placed a hand on his shoulder for comfort. "Oh!", Coach Arma yelled with her pointer finger in the air, "and one more thing". She looked at everybody with a small smirk. "The students who you brought, will not be your partners".

Shock went through the studio as everyone spoke asking for clarification. Calum's head snapped to me with his eyes buldging from his head, "what does she mean"? Everyone became worked up and Coach Arma scowled, "oh shut up"! Silence filled the room, and she continued. "As I was saying, I will be taking all the students you brought here today, and randomly pair them with a dancer. I am doing this to ensure that everyone has a fair advantage". "More like to make things more difficult", I thought. Calum looked at me with uneasiness and I gave him a crooked smile.

"Alright, maggots to the left, and suckers to the right!" Coach Arma hollered, taking a sip of coffee.

I gave Calum another apologetic look as I walked to my requested end of the studio. As I went over, I noticed Luke was talking to Coach Arma. Except it seemed like a one-ended conversation as she stared at him in a trance-like state. There was no emotion on her face as her entire attention was placed on Luke. Luke then nodded as he patted her on the shoulder and walked to the right side of the room. After Luke's departure, Coach Arma blinked a couple of times and shook her head as she placed her left palm on her forehead.

I then felt a nudge on my left shoulder as Katie passed by me, "watch it". I rolled my eyes as I walked as far away as possible from her. "Ok," Coach Arma hollered as she analyzed the room. She pointed at a random boy with long ponytailed hair on the left side. "You are with Reynolds"! Kylie Reynolds, raised her hand, her brown hair covering most of her face as the boy nodded and walked to her. Coach Arma looked up from her clipboard after writing something down. "You will be dancing contemporary. You can start practice as soon as your assigned, you may work in the hallwaya or anywhere close to the studio. Now get to work"! Kylie and the boy nodded as they left the room. Coach Arma continued her tactic of pointing and assigning as more duets were formed.

She finally pointed at Calum, "you!" She hollered. Calum flinched slightly and I crossed my fingers behind my back and bit my lip. "You are with Donovan! Hip hop! Go"! Calum looked at me with horror as Katie stepped forward seeming unpleased with her assigned partner as she grabbed Calum's arm violently and pulled him out the room. Before Calum went through the door, he looked at me with petrified eyes and mouthed the words, "you so owe me".

I mouthed an apology as Coach Arma continued. There were only ten dancers and ten students left. Luke was one of them as he leaned back on the wall his arms crossed staring at the floor. I was ok with any style or any one of the boys left. I just didn't want to deal with Luke.

Coach Arma eyed us carefully and pointed at the Luke. "You!" She screamed. She stopped mid sentence as her face depleted of emotion and she seemed to drift off into space. Luke smirked slightly and looked at me. He took a few steps in my direction. "You will be with Irwin", Coach Arma said in a soft monotone voice.

My heart dropped as Luke stood infront of me with a wink. "Hey". I felt like I was going to puke. Maybe if I'm lucky she will give me a style that does not involve a lot of physical contact. Coach Arma once again blinked rapidly and and put a hand to her forehead as she momentarily lost balance.

"Um..right.." she said unsure as Luke and I waited for her to assign our dance style. "Ok, uh, you will have...latin ballroom, Samba. Get to work". She spoke in a sick manner that was not there originally.

"Shall we go"? I looked at Luke as his lips etched into a smile. I could taste bile. "Sure, let me just get my heels", I said hesitantly as I passed by him to walk into the locker room. Looks like Calum won't be the only one suffering.

Wow over 1 thousand reads! You guys are awesome, don't forget to comment and vote!