Chapter 34 Night Sky

Daniel Sharman as Marcus

You would think, by now, I would learn. That with all the experience I have accumulated, I would not make the same foolish and pitiful mistakes. What's worse, I knew it was foolish. I knew it was pitiful. But I still did it. I ran.

With a twirl by the heel, I scurried away from the deadly vampire, whose red eyes feasted upon me like that of a snake to a mouse. He stood over Luke's body, which remained motionless along with the wooden shard lodged in his back and leg that oozed blood.

My barefeet pounded on the wooden floors as I ran into the the kitchen. I knew it was daft to attempt to flee from a vampire on human legs. So I grabbed the first thing my eyes caught upon.

My hand yanked the knife out of its set on the countertop as I twirled around and held the weapon in front of me, pointed at the door from whence I entered.

I awaited for Marcus to enter. To see his fanged smile and devilish eyes as he stepped inside. But I did not see him enter.

He was already there.

Arms coiled  around me like snakes with a hand clenched over my mouth, muting my scream. A sinister chuckle pounded in my ears as I felt the warm breath tickle my ear. "Now then," he said, "what were you planning to do with that, dearie"?

His hold tightened on me as my arms were pinned to me, causing me to drop the knife. Another chuckle escaped his lips.

"Tsk tsk, Katherine," Marcus said in my ear. His voice was void of happiness as it felt dead and cold. It was different from how Luke spoke to me when I first learned of his secret. It was more condescending, and immersed in evil.

"I must say, I thought you were smarter than that. A young, soon to be summa cum laude graduate who has lived most of her life alone", he said. "But I suppose you aren't everything you display, now are you"? I struggled to break from his hold and delivered more muffled screams. But his arms only tightened around me.

"When people first meet you, they see a girl who has it all. A pretty face, excellent academic standing, a talent for dance, and supportive friends and family". He laughed to himself as he got closer to my ear. "But that is far from the truth isn't it, Katherine"?

My heart raced as I felt my body shiver at his touch. I couldn't see his face, but I knew Marcus was thriving on my fear. "Where shall I start? You live your life being told you are pretty, but have never had a real relationship, have you? Tried for years to get the attention of one of your best friends, and was humiliated when who you thought what would be your first real boyfriend was simply playing you for his own game".

My heart pounded in my chest as my breathing hastened. "Then we have your achievement in academics, but you have yet to truly decide what you plan on doing after graduation. You await an acceptance letter from Juliard, hoping they could whisk you away to go after your ambitions, but know it is childish as you look over the colleges who will accept you as a general business major".

His fingers tapped against my arm as he went on. "Speaking of which, there is your dance. You have lived most of your life with it, haven't you. But you never truly felt great. You still don't. You utilize it as a way to ease your pain,but wonder if it will ever become more".

"Your friends are truly reliable, but you worry if whether or not the friendship will survive after you all go your separate ways".

My eyes were bugging from my head at this point, how did he know all of this?

"And last but not least, your family. I must say. With all my time visiting your lovely town, I have yet to see your mother. From what I gathered, not many of the townspeople have seen her either. She has practically abandoned you, hasn't she Katherine? Ever since you were small, it was just you and your brother as your mother would take the most vigorous shifts and business trips to help you all make ends meet with a single income. Your poor brother who at once felt so close to you, is starting to feel like your keeping something from him, pushing him away. But you must be feeling like he has been keeping something from you. When was the last time you talked to him about University"?