Chapter 19 Midnight

My grandmother strayed away a piece of my short scarlet hair out of my face. She smiled at me happily as she saw my eyes drooping slightly from exhaustion and my ears perked up desperate to hear more of her stories.

"Demons" she spoke softly with a sigh. "Evil creatures who hide in the shells of God's creations to perform the Devil's deeds". The moonlight from my window made the whiteness in her hair brighter, but placed shadow on her face that was only recognizable from her sweet smile.

"They prey on the lives of the living, never satisfied, but find pleasure as they see the life leave their victims eyes". I yawned, pulling the soft white covers closer to my body. "They are truly sadistic monsters, my dear Katherine", she spoke placing a hand on my head and stoking my hair. "They believe that after selling their souls to the devil, that they are invicible. Powerful. That the people who follow the light, will perish".

Her hand fell to my chin as she lifted it for my eyes to meet with kind, wise brown ones. "But that is not true, child". As smile broke from her face as finger jabbed at my chest, directly over my heart. "They have lost the thing that will be their own demise. A beating, strong heart. They may think that they can kill it by draining away the liquid that fuels it. But that is false".

Her delicate hands fell to my cheek, as my eyes grew heavier. "Yes, their is indeed a physical heart, but there is also another kind. The kind that can't be destroyed by a simple puncture". She paused. "Hope, faith, perseverence", she paused with a smile, "and love". "That is the elements that make up who we are. And it is those elements, that define us. That make us strong. That make us impossible to destroy".

Gran Gran leaned forward and kissed me delicately on the forehead. She looked at me directly in my heavy eyes. "You are special Katherine". She paused. "I fear the day that your strength will be tested. But in the end, I know you will prevail. Because nothing can take away your strength without your consent. You were born strong, and you will remain strong. You just need to keep fighting. Never forget that. Don't be afraid Katherine. Don't be afraid".

A groan emitted from my lips as I felt a huge pain in my head. I placed a hand on my forehead as I scruched my eyebrows, hoping to be freed from the migrane. My hazel eyes slowly opened and adjusted to the dark room I was in. I was lying on a queen sized bed, with black covers in a room with black hardwood floors. A dresser was placed in the front of the bed as a full large bookshelf stood on the far left right side on the room next to a large window with black drapes. You could tell, based on the absence of light from the window, that it was night. In front of the window, was a golden telescope pointed at a fixed point outside.

I steadily got up into a sitting position only to feel an intense amount of pain thoughout my body. Every movement I made brought a surge of agony as if needles were within.

My feet touched the hardwood floor as I got up from the bed, trying to shake away the dizziness in my vision. Where am I? What am I doing here? My head ached with every thought.

My focus fell back on the only shiny object in the room. I steadily walked over to it and allowed my hands to touch the cool metal of the occular device. My eyes glanced outside the window as I recognized the street. It was the street my friends and I would always walk on between our school and home hours.

Curiousity took over as I slowly peered through the telescope. A gasp escaped me as the object that the telescope was gazing at, was my own home.

I flinched away from the telescope and felt a surge of pain from my neck. My hand caressed the spot where I felt two small gashes.

Memories began to flood back of Beth, her wounds, the football field...and Luke. It didn't take much for me to realize where I was. I have seen the outside of this house all my life. And I have even visited it quite a bit recently. I was on Old Golland's House. The house whose current resident is Luke.