Chapter 8 The Land Void of Light

Beth's laughter echoed throughout the halls as she received many disturbed glares from the students who were ready for the comfort of their beds. "It's not that funny", Calum said, a scowl planted on his face as we walked along the hallway. Beth had difficulty speaking as she continued to release her entertained laughter. "You....paired...with the mega bitch"! Beth burst out in laughter once again as Calum's scowl grew.

"Come on Beth, lay off him", I said in an attempt to calm down Calum who glared and pointed his index finger at me. "I thought you asked me to volunteer to be your partner!" He said attempting to overpower Beth's consistent giggling. I raised my arms up in surrender.

"I'm sorry, I had no idea that was going to happen. But trust me, I am not happy about it either". Calum rolled his eyes as he eyed Beth who had yet to stop her laughter. "Would you shut up already! It's bad enough that I have to spend time with her, now I have to be teased about it". Beth began to slowly calm down as she used a finger to wipe away stray tears and breathed slowly. "I'm sorry...it's just...it's just". She paused momentarily to take a breath before looking at him with a smile. "It's just too perfect", She said and quickly resumed her laughter, her blue eyes watering once again.

Calum gritted his teeth in anger and I placed a hand on his shoulder in comfort. "Hey, it isn't so bad", I told him, "I mean, it could be worse". Calum looked back at me, unconvinced. "Oh really?" He said satiricaly, "and how could it possibly get any worse"? I shrugged slightly, "you could have been assigned a sensual ballroom piece".

At that point, Calum's anger was replaced with sympathy, "oh right", he said looking at the tiled floors, "I forgot. You probably are worse off than me". "Actually, I would say she is way better off than you", Beth said, finally finished with her chuckling. Calum and I raised an eyebrow at her as she held her books closer to her chest. "I mean, she's paired with someone who is actually attractive and cute. You're just paired with a mega bitch". "A mega bitch?" I asked, perplexed. Beth nodded. "Well yeah, I mean Katie is not your average bitch. Nor is she 'one hell of a bitch' or a 'big bitch", she said moving a leveled arm higher and higher to gesture the different levels. "She is a mega bitch", she said reaching her hand up high.

Calum and I chuckled at her statement as I put a hand through my free scarlet hair. Calum opened the front doors and we exited to the front of the school. "Well I wouldn't say I am 'better off'", I said shrugging. "I mean, he is so..I don't know...odd". I said having difficulty placing the appropriate words. "Not to mention a total jackass" Calum muttered. He then looked towards me with those beautiful dark brown eyes. "Are we still up for the party tomorrow". I looked at him and Beth astonished. "Oh my gosh! Today is Friday! I totally forgot. Yeah of course". I said with a nod. "But we can't have it too late, Ashton is still spooked by that murder that occured earlier this week and doesn't want anyone of us out after dark".

Beth and Calum nodded in agreement as Beth placed a hand through a few blonde hairs that escaped from her ponytail and were riding the wind. "What about your mom?" Beth asked, "is she still coming to town". I shook my head.

"She said she would try, but Ashton and I know she won't be able to. She never is". There was a small pause, in which the only sound audible was our feet against the pavement that ended as we huddled together. "Well no need to worry, you still have us" Calum said puttimg an arm around Beth who pretended to be appalled by his touch. I giggled slightly. "Thanks guys".

Beth's eyes grew as she looked behind me. "Well then, here comes prince charming himself". I looked over my shoulder and saw a smirking Luke walking over to us. "More like annoying jester", Calum scoffed. "I guess that is our cue to leave. Good luck, and see you tomorrow" he said as Beth and he gave me a hug and departed.