Chapter 10 Day of the Rising Sun

I spinned around once, in my red floral dress, checking to see if there was any fashion disasters in the mirror. I rolled my eyes as I undid my hair for the thousandth time in an attempt to achieve an amazing look I saw off youtube. Unfortunately, my motivation behind completing it became annoyance as I simply let my scarlet hair hang freely in its natural wavy state.

I heard the soft chime of the doorbell and my brother's loud holler, insinuating the arrival of party guests. I smiled to myself in the mirror and held the silver locket I had recieved from Ashton around my neck. The metal felt cool around my hand as I released a soft breath and exited the room.

Voices became more audible as I went down the wooden stairs. I turned into the kitchen and found Calum who was playfully punching Ashton on the arm. Ashton would then punch him back in his arm and the cycle would continue. "Ah! Dammit Calum, have you been working out?" My brother asked throwing a harder punch. Calum endured the hit and shrugged, "not much". Calum delivered another, heavier blow on Ashton's bicep. "Well I can see the results man, nice!" Ashton said before he threw a loud and powerful punch on Calum's arm. "Shit!" Yelled Calum, rubbing his arm, "I admit defeat". Ashton raised his arms in victory. "Guess you need a little bit more work at the gym" he said with a smile.

The two laughed at one another as I rolled my eyes at their childlike behavior. "You know, I thought with age, came wisdom", I said with crossed arms, "it seems evolution is not what it used to be". Ashton pouted at me and Calum simply chuckled embracing me in a hug. "Happy birthday Kat" he said in ear. "Thank you" I said after releasing him. I looked at his attire with a questioning look. "Weren't you the one who said we should dress nice for the occasion"? Calum looked down and shrugged. "Yeah"? I rolled my eyes at his inability to see my point. "I am not sure that a white t-shirt and black skinny jeans qualifies as 'nice'" I chuckled. Calum pouted, "but these are my fancy pants". I laughed upon his response, "whatever, I suppose it is better than Ashton". My brother's jaw dropped upon my statement.

"Hey! I think I look rather sophisticated if I do say so myself" Ashton yelled in protest. I raised an eyebrow at him. "I didn't know the definition of sophistication is a grey tank top, black skinny jeans, and a red bandana". Ashton tightened the bandana on his forehead with a determined expression. "It is my sophisticated bandana". I glanced at an amused Calum, then looked back towards my brother who had fists to his hips and chest puffed out. My eyes landed back on Calum, "Take it from someone who knows, Ashton is not the ideal model to strive for" I said with a wink.

Ashton's puffed up chest deflated and he looked at me with a look of betrayal as Calum started to laugh. I chuckled slightly as I heard the doorbell ring and left the kitchen. On my way to the door I could hear Calum comforting Ashton and my brother muttering "she finally manages to grow some grey hair and suddenly she thinks she's better than me". I subconsciously touched my hair in fear but then rolled my eyes at my own anxiety as I opened the front door.

"Happy Birthday!" Beth yelled enveloping me in a soft hug while holding on to a contained cake and bag. I hugged my friend back and relieved her of the cake she had in her hand as I led her to the kitchen. "You look so good Kat!" Beth said as her blonde curled hair bounced with every step. "Thank you! And so do you" I said to my bestfriend. "I absolutely love your dress". Beth did a small spin allowing her cerulean blue floral dress to lift slighly in the soft breeze she emitted. "Well thank you. Don't get used to it, I put on these god awful heels for you", Beth said. I chuckled at her response as we entered the kitchen and I set down the cake on the island.

Calum was cradling a pouting Ashton's head, who glared at me as I entered the room. After placing her gift bag on the kitchen table, next to Calum's, Beth raised a questioning eyebrow at me towards the boys' current position. I gave her smile in which delivered a message she understood fairly well.

My hand grabbed on the lid containing the cake. "So can I finally see what you guys ordered now"? Beth's hand slammed the lid shut and she grabbed my arm pulling me away from the island and cake. "No no no. It is suprise". I rolled my eyes once again. "Whatever, you guys spoil me" I said glaring at each and every one of the people in the room. The trio led me to the living room with enthusiasm resonating from each of them as Beth basicaly pushed me to the couch.

"So I brought some Quelf, Cards Against Humanity, and my mom managed to sneak in a game of charades in my car. What does the lovely princess want to do?", Beth asked. "I'm not a princess," I said with a giggle, "and whatever tickles your fancy really".

Ashton rolled his eyes, "here we go again, Kat in her pessimistic attitude. For crying out loud Kat! It is your birthday! Be selfish for once"!