Chapter 7 Evading Darkness

My heels clicked with each step I took upon the stage as Luke leaned against the wall, occupied with his cell phone. The dimly lit area placed a suspenseful mood, almost as if someone was going to jump out of the navy curtains with an axe.

"Care to explain how you managed to snag the auditorium?" I asked aloud, my eyes looking towards the empty audience. Luke smirked as he placed his phone in the back pocket of his jeans. "It was available, so I took it". I placed a hand on my hip and raised an eyebrow.

"Available?" I asked unconvinced, "you mean to tell me no one else came over here and claimed it"? He chuckled lightly as he walked over towards me, the light just barely missing his face. "I can be...quite convincing". His smile grew as he stepped into the light, right in front of me. It was at that moment that I realized how much he towered over me. My head was just barely at his neck, even with high heels on as the light shined on his lip piercing, drawing more attention to his full lips and big smile.

"Well then, shall we get started"? He said holding his infamous grin. He took a step towards me holding a hand out as I took a quick step back. He raised an eyebrow. I held back a chill. "Right, um, let's start with the basics" I said, avoiding his eyes. He cleared his throat awkwardly as he brought his hand back to his side, "right".

I wasn't sure what it was, but being around Luke frightened me slightly. And the thought that he was now going to have his hands all over me, brought chills. "Okay", I said breaking the silence, "so samba, it is a dance originally from Brasil". I cleared my throat nervously as I looked toward the ground. "However, we will not be dancing the original Brasilian style, rather the modern samba that emerged at the beginning of the 20th century".

I turned to face him as he returned my expression with folded arms and a bored look. I took this as my cue to continue. "It is predominantly in a 2/4 tempo varied with the conscious use of a sung chorus to a batucada rhythm, with various stanzas of declaratory verses-" "how about we just skip the history lesson and we get to it" Luke interjected, stepping closer.

I took another step from him and Luke rolled his eyes slightly by my action.

I tried to let the awkward exchange disapear, "alrighty then, let's try some basic steps. Here get to my left," I instructed, facing the audience. Luke, unethusiasticaly,  followed my demands as he stood ,a little closer than I was comfortable with, at my side. I coughed slightly, as I fixed my ponytail. "Okay, so let's start with your right foot back".

As I continued to go over the steps with Luke, I noticed how quickly he was understanding and how very little interest he had. I began to walk around the stage analyzing his movements, almost shocked at how much instruction he was able to do. It was very rarely that I had to make corrections. "Keep your shoulders back, and don't be too tense or else it will constrict hip movement". He raised and eyebrow at me with a small smirk. "Oh trust me, hip movement won't be an issue". I rolled my eyes as I gave him the next few steps.

After a while, I glanced at the clock and noticed we had less than ten minutes til the period was over. "Alright, I think that will be it for now, nice work". Luke simply nodded as I looked at him in shock. He didn't have a drop of sweat on him. "Have you done this before?" I asked looking for any signs of exhaustion. He shrugged, "maybe a little here and there". I raised an eyebrow, "a little"? He chuckled at my suspicious tone. "When do I learn with a partner?" He asked, arms folded. There was a pause as I looked down, biting my lip.

"I mean, isn't it supposed to be a partnered dance, I would think it would look peculiar if I did those steps myself", he continued. I nodded slightly. I knew I couldn't keep avoiding it, but the thought of our bodies being so close together in such a sensual dance made goosebumps emerge.

"Um, yeah, probably next lesson", I said unsure. "How about tonight?" He said, his smile returning. I looked up at him in shock, "what"? He shrugged, "I mean, we have two months to prepare this thing and I'm sure we will need practice outside of school, how about my house"? I shuddered slightly. "Your house"? "Yeah, shouldn't be a problem right?" He said tilting his head.

He walked over towards me as I backed up slightly, realizing there was no more stage. I gasped slightly as I began to fall only to be caught by Luke, his hand pulling mine to safety. His hand was super cold to the touch, almost as if he had been holding icecubes in them all day. "Are you alright?" He said looking down at me. "Are you?" I asked, "you're hands are really cold".

His hand released mine at my statement as he looked away from me unsure how to reply. I began to realize how close we were together as his hot breath hit my face with every breath. He seemed to take notice of our distance as well, "I'm fine now".

There a soft pause as my hazel eyes stared into his blue orbs.

I cleared my throat as I took a step to his left and placed a bit of distance between us before I spoke. "Yeah sure, we can do tonight at your house, as long as I am home by six for dinner. I will try to pick a song and come up with some choreography between now and then". He chuckled at my awkward attempt to change the subject. "Cool" he said, patting my shoulder. I flinched at his touch which I could feel gave him a sense of power. He lowered his lips to my ear as he spoke softly, "meet me at the front of the school after the final bell, I'll give you a ride". His husky voice and hot breath contrasted the cold touch of his hand as he stepped away from me. "See you around" he said with a small wink as he began to exit the auditorium.

After the door shut, I released a breath I had not realized I was holding and placed a hand upon my rapidly beating heart. What did I just agree to?

Hey guys so I know this chapter is kind of crappy, but I didn't think it would make sense to skip so..yeah.

Anyways, thank you guys for taking the time read, comment and vote. I haven't had as much time to update due to personal issues currently occuring in my life, so thank you for being patient and keep it up!