Chapter 15 Broken Glass

The rest of the day was a blur to me, as I isolated myself from the world through the aid of my headphones and cell phone.

Even after Ashton picked me up from school, I remained silent. I wanted to escape the world. Escape the betrayal and insincerity I have been subjected to. Ashton would consistently ask for an explanation for my "dark and depressing" mood and I would simply shrug at him if I was not using my music as a false excuse for why I couldn't hear him.

The thing that made the day worse then Beth's betrayal, is that there was no Luke Hemmings that came to comfort me. He was a mystery, as his activity was nonexistent since he left my home that day. Part of me began to wonder, if he too, was a con artisit. A master manipulator that would hurt me in the end.

I tried to push that thought out, as I knew that if my suspicions were true, it would break me. That was, of course, assuming that I was not already broken.

My mind kept jumping to the words Calum utilized. Worthless. Foolish. Pitiful. How could I have been so blind? How could I have not seen these beliefs my so-called "friends" had? Was any part of our friendships real? Was friendship ever real for me? Is anyone at all who they say they are? Or are people just evil creatures who plan to use others for whatever benefit, then reveal their true colors as they toss their victims to the side?

Among all the hurt, I felt empty. Like I was nothing. I felt as though if I disapeared from the world, no one would miss me. Perhaps Calum was right. I was foolish. I was pitiful. To trust such people, it is no wonder I am the laughing stock.

I sat there in my room all night. Lost in the sounds of my phone. Only, I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics or the music. But rather I let it surround me, for closure, as I contemplated if there was truly any good in the world. Was there anyone who truly cared? Or have I been alone all this time and am destined to remain alone? Will I always be the sad, pathetic victim who foolishly placed her trust on another human?

These thoughts went through my mind all night and all morning as I lazily got out of bed and prepared myself for the day. My usual enthusiasm for the start of a day and my appearance was absent. I put on a simple white t-shirt and black nike shorts to go with my black tennis shoes. I didn't place too much emphasis on my hair and didn't even bother with my make up. Why even try anymore?

My brother studied me as I ate my frosted flakes cereal in silence, a look of concern etched on his face. The ride to school was silent as I stared out the window wishing that I could be like the birds in the sky and fly away. "I'll see you when you get off school" Ashton said I we pulled up. "Yeah" I murmured as I grabbed the door handle.

Ashton grabbed hold my arm, catching my attention as his hazel eyes looked into mine, as if he could see the pain I was engulfed in. "You know if you ever need anything, I am here for you". I took his words and nodded, debating if they were true. "I don't know what is going on, but remember this, no matter what, your big brother is here to protect you". He paused as his eyes scanned me again, awaiting an action. "Just know I love you alright. You are very precious to me and I will do whatever it takes to ensure you happiness".

My hand clasped the silver locket around my neck. The same one Ashton had given me my eighteenth birthday. I have not taken it off since then. His eyes caught my movement as he waited intently for my reply. I nodded and gave him a weak smile. "Thank you". He nodded and let me go and I exited the vehicle.

My hand remained clasped around the locket as I entered the buildings, recieving occasional stares. There was a part of me that wondered if Ashton only said those words because of our blood and not of our relationship. I immediately dismissed the thought. No. If there is anyone I could trust, it was Ashton. He has been there for me through thick and thin. I tugged at the cool metal around my neck and gave a weak smile to myself. I will be okay.