Chapter 42 Dawn Rises

Hey guys this is the final chapter of the book. Damn. I can't believe it. However please read the author's note. ESPECIALLY IF THIS ENDING DOES NOT SUIT YOU OR THE EVENTS OF LAST CHAPTER ARE NOT HOW YOU WANTED IT TO END. So please read, comment, and vote:)

Dedicated to all the readers that stuck by me. Love you.

Unedited

The soft breeze went through my scarlet hair as it caressed my soft skin. The sun shined down between the tree branches upon me in my black dress as I stared down at the fresh soil on the ground.

Micheal had said it would have been a bad idea to bury him somewhere public. Too many questions brings too many lies, and why would we want that as his legacy.

I stared down at the fresh grave in the woods. Surrounded by flowers with a pathetic stick made crucifix.

This wasn't supposed to happen. None of it.

It has been weeks since it happened. And I felt worse than before. Not even Beth's prescience, Calum's reassurance, my spring spectacular gold medal, or high school diploma was able to change my mood.

I was supposed to play dumb. Put on that fake smile. Pretend everything was alright. It fooled many, but there were some who saw through my ruse.

My brother didn't understand and would ask me what was wrong, why I was so down, and, of course, where was Luke.

I guess that is why my mood never wavered. I held it in and let it manifest. Why else could I have done? Reveal what Luke is? What Calum has become? What world we truly live in?

My eyes stung as my gaze remained transfixed on the burial site.

It was ironic really. Luke had gone on and on about killing me. And here I was, alive and well because he sacrificed himself for me.

Soft footsteps became audible as another body stood beside me.

"How long have you been here"?

I looked over to the newly blonde vampire as he stood in his black skinny jeans and black jacket.

I didn't look at Mikey when I replied. "Since the service".

He didn't react to my answer. I had expected him to chuckle, to say something contradicting or sarcastic, hell I expected him make fun of me. But he didn't. He stared at me and nodded, ignoring that I had revealed that I had been there for two hours.

"It's funny", Mikey said, "as a vampire, death is something I see everyday". He paused. "But no matter how often I see it, it still impacts me the same way".

"Besides maybe the deaths you caused", I said under my breath.

My statement did not escape his supernatural hearing as he chuckled.

"Actually those still do affect me, oddly enough".

I looked over at him, intrigued.

He smirked. "When I see someone I don't know or care for leaving this earth, I feel empty. It freaks me out as I realize my humanity is deteriorating with time. Have I grown so accustomed to death that it doesn't affect me anymore? At first I thought it was a side effect of being a vampire, but I was wrong"?