Chapter 24 A Day in the Dark

Every step I made down the empty hallways brought an aching feeling throughout my body. I still wore the same clothes from last night which somehow did not recieve much blood stains. My blue blouse was wrinkled and clung to me tightly with only a small tear at the end of the fabric by my left hip. My jeans were torn up, looking like the ones in style, but had noticeable darker patches at some parts. My toms were worn out and begining to tear as well.

I didn't have a chance to look in a mirror, but I was sure I looked appalling with my unbrushed scarlet hair and the cut I felt was fairly noticeable on my forehead.

For the first time in years though, my appearence was not my main concern. I had a real vampire in my life who was going to stop at nothing to figure out how he could kill me without inflicting pain on himself. And to top it off, he threatened my own brother and possibly anyone I ever cared for to acquire my cooperation. To say school was the last place I wanted to be in, was an understatement.

My hand tugged open the door to my English classroom and I stepped onto the white tiled floor inside. To say that I disrupted the lesson was comical as all of the students looked up at me from the papers at their desk and stared at me wide eyed.

Feeling the eyes on my back, I walked over to my desk, avoiding their gazes and sat down. Ms. Sykes stood at the front of the room with a piece of paper in her hand, looking at me. She opened her mouth as if she was about to comment on my tardiness and lack of etiquette, but stopped herself as she simply grabbed another piece of paper from her desk and set it on mine, her heals clicking with each step.

She cleared her throat and began reading the paper she held in her hands again as the rest of the class slowly returned their focus to the Shakespearean sonnet they were supposed to be reading along to. Every so often, I could feel my classmates watching me, curiousity evident in their eyes.

"The hell happened to you"? My eyes widened as I heard the familiar voice and turned to my right. Beth sat there staring at me with scrunched eyebrows, her blonde hair in a pony tail, with a white t-shirt and black nike shorts. Her legs were crossed as she leaned forward on her desk with her right elbow and used her hand to cover her face and direct her voice to me. "I mean I love you and all that, but you look like you got tied to the back of a racecar that went on a road trip".

I stared at her in silence remembering the last time I saw the blonde. Her ear piercing scream as Luke's fangs dug into her neck, and her bloody body lying on the football field. "Beth"? She looked at me with concern at my confused state. "Is there anyone else this beautiful", she joked occaionally glancing back up at Ms. Sykes who still had yet to notice our conversation. Or perhaps, she did notice, and was trying her best to not direct any attention on me, either way, Beth looked back at me, her eyes moving up and down. "Anyways, why do you look like you got fashion advice from Oscar the Grouch"? "How are you here"?

My soft question took Her by suprise as she hesitated, seeming to choose her words carefully. "I walked here as always", she whispered, eyebrows scrunched. "Calum and I were wondering why you didn't meet up with us, we tried texting you but you didn't answer. We got a little worried". Her eyes looked me up and down again and she continued, "I guess we were right to be worried".

"You and Calum"? My voice slightly raised. What was going on? Beth was talking to me as if the two weeks never occured. My eyes scanned her neck and widened when I saw an abscence of Luke's bite mark. "Yes?" Beth said holding onto the 's' sound. "Is that ok"? "Beth," I spoke cautiously, "what happened after school yesterday"? She seemed taken aback by the sudden question but cocked her head in thought as her blue eyes looked to the upper left. "Uh, well, after basketball practice," she paused as if the memory was hard to recover. "I met up with Calum to walk home," she said in realization, "we waited for you by your locker but when you came by you said you wanted to spend time with Luke and work on your dance or whatever". She raised her eyebrows and smirked at me. "But it's okay love, I know it was not the dance that you wanted to work on with him".