Chapter 22 Staring at Death

Ashton. My own brother. He too possessed my abnormal ability to resist Luke's supernatural compulsion. Which also meant that, he too, gained the Luke's attention. My brother was in danger.

Chuckling was heard throughout the home followed by heavy footsteps as Luke returned to the room, a smirk plastered upon his face. "Well then, today is quite an elightening day, isn't it Katherine"? I glared at him as I laid on the ground, anger and fear fueling me to get up. He continued, completely unthreatened by my intimidation. "I mean, we learned the origins of your friend's abnormal behavior, that I am a devilishly handsome vampire, and about your fascinating ability to posion and resist me". Luke's smirk grew as he walked over to me and lowered himself to my level his hand grabbed my chin and forced my eyes to look into his deep red orbs. "But I must say, learning that you are not the only one in the family that shares this quality is quite intriguing".

A chuckle escaped his lips as his grip around my jaw increased with his excitement. "Do you know what that means, Katherine"? My glare only intensified as I gritted my teeth. He seemed to take joy in my resistance of cooperation as he continued. "It means, that you, my dear, are expendable". Another chuckle escaped him as he released my jaw and got up from the ground. He began to walk aimlessly around the room as he spoke. "You see, I was quite limited in what I could do with you, Katherine. Killing you was equivalent to never solving the mystery of why you can resist me. It would also mean never being able to avoid having the problem again. But now that I have another little test subject, I am a lot more flexible".

He turned to me, a smile on his face. "Perhaps it would be best if I killed you now and just grabbed your brother, after all, you have already made this more difficult than it needed to be". I gradually got up from the ground, my joints shaking as I felt gravity weigh me down. "Or, I could just grab him and dissect the bastard, see what exactly makes you two tick". "You stay away from him". My sudden burst of courage suprised even me as Luke's smirk only grew and raised an eyebrow. "Oh, and what is exactly is going to stop me, Katherine"? He suddenly appeared directly infront of me and nudged me with his right index finger as I fell back barely catching myself before falling to the ground. "You are going to have to do better than that if you are going to make threats to a vampire, Katherine".

"You don't scare me, Luke". The vampire erupted into laughter at my little outburst. "Jesus, again with the fake bravery. You really need to stop before you look even more pathetic than you already are". He laughed again when he saw my glare as I ignored my injuries and sore body. The truth was, I was scared. Horrified even. But I was not going to let this demon take advantage of me or my loved ones any more than he already has.

"Oh Katherine, don't you get it? This is only going to end in a two ways". He brought out his hand and used his fingers to count off. "Option one, you make this difficult, I use your brother, and I kill you". He chuckled at his last few words as he pupils dilated with lust. "Or option two, you be a good girl, I leave your dense behemoth alone and, well, I kill you". Luke's smile grew as he finished and took a step forward. "So what will it be"?

My heart was racing as I watched him, but maintained my stance as my eyes caught one of the wooden legs of the broken chair on the ground between us. A wooden stake. I took a step forward leaning closer to the stake, making my movements slow and precise. My eyes remained on the blood sucker as I spoke with an edge to my voice. "Quite interesting options", I spoke calmly. The stake was only three yards away. Each step was soft, as I eyed the beast. "How about option number three?" I wagered. "You let me go, leave me and my loved ones alone, and I don't rat you out". Luke shook his head with a smile as he bit his lip. "I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, dearie, nor do I think you are exactly in the position to make deals".

"But this is what you want, isn't it"? Luke scrunched his eyebrows in perplexity at my statement. "To beg for my life," I inquired. Only a yard away. I stood at my spot waiting for him to come closer. I knew that he was too fast for me to attempt to run at him, but if he were close, and I was sudtle enough, I might have a chance.