𝐗𝐈𝐕. sports day

─── chapter fourteen.
❛ SPORTS DAY ❜

IT WAS WEIRD, showing up to school with the weight of having to carry another person's friendship within his personal bubble

deok-su swore for the longest time it would just be him and his sister, but after zack's outburst the other night at the convenience store, something had told deok-su that he wasn't all bad.

well, that proved to be sort of false, as the aforementioned boxer didn't show up to school on the days following that 'incident'. it was weirder, however, that a small part of deok-su, hidden deeply in his shriveled grey soul, actually slightly missed him.

or, maybe it was that he disliked the feeling of there being an empty chair beside him, a chair that people were already making bets on whether or not they could last an hour sitting beside deok-su. a stupid game, but all the bespectacled boy had to do was glare in their direction for the hushed words to cease.

if there was one thing zack lee had influenced deok-su in, it would be threatening facial expressions. that, and enough confidence to execute them. deok-su could finally make eye contact for more than five seconds whenever someone was talking to him. eight seconds, to be precise. not much of an improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

the chair beside him was cold and empty, much of a contrast to the usual slightly angry pokes of fun at deok-su, courtesy of zack. deok-su never realized how much easier avoiding others was when the boxer was sitting beside him. nobody unwanted dared approach them, deok-su kept what was left of his sanity intact, and everything was fine.

the fashion department was buzzing with chatter about the upcoming sports day, but deok-su found all the information about said day erase from his malfunctioning brain as yui took the seat beside him without warning. her soft hair gently flowed down her back, framing her large starry eyes and accentuating her lips, which were stretched into a smile.

deok-su's hands, which had been the stillest they could get, moved from their place on top of his desk back down to his lap in a flash, their gruesomeness hidden away from the girl to see, lest her face morph into one of disgust. the air seemed to thin, and the bespectacled boy felt too suffocated in such an open windowed classroom.

"deok-su, are you planning to join in any sports day activities?" yui directed her body to face him, tilting her head innocently and sweetly. her knees were dangerously close to touching deok-su's leg, and he felt his face muscles lock up unexpectedly.

"not sure." he murmured distractedly, sliding away from the girl as stealthily as he could.

"why don't you try out for the third runner in the relay race?" she hummed, pointing to the board where there was an empty spot waiting to be filled up. "i'm the second runner, so i'll be passing the baton to you!"

"i'm not a good runner." deok-su replied, looking down firmly at his desk.

just as he said this, jay lifted his hand, and at last the final place was filled. deok-su had never been more glad for the blonde's obsession with the other transfer.