𝐗𝐗𝐈. apologies

─── chapter twenty one.
❛ APOLOGIES ❜

FROM THE MOMENT SHE KOCKED ON THE METAL DOOR, kil deok-ja knew she was done for

FROM THE MOMENT SHE KOCKED ON THE METAL DOOR, kil deok-ja knew she was done for. a full day without contact, unannounced, and after an argument — there was no way deok-su would ever forgive her.

and it was understandable. deok-ja broke the only concrete rule he had set in their turbulent lives, and she had sworn to adhere to it. then again, kil deok-ja always broke the promises she knew she could never keep anyway, and keeping her away from the only people who made her childhood bearable was about as useless as training a rabid dog.

regret was not exactly the word she would use to describe her actions, however. she was stubborn, and bad mannered, but never would deok-ja regret meeting jake kim and rekindling whatever leftovers shreds of happiness she could muster from their shared past.

the door to the house opened, and deok-ja came face to face with a deadened face and messy hair.

kil deok-su had never looked more empty.

"sorr—"

"welcome home." his dull words greeted deok-ja at the door, and left her there to ponder over her earlier mistakes.

deok-su didn't say anything else after that. he only turned around and walked back inside, leaving the door ajar for his younger sister to enter. moose uncurled himself from the couch and ran up to the kil girl, nipping her legs playfully.

the younger kil swallowed, eyes darting around the room as though re-examining the state of the house in her absence.

"you went, didn't you?" deok-su asked quietly, and deok-ja couldn't bring herself to look into his eyes — what emotion was written in them? anger? sadness? hatred? or perhaps, even nothing at all?

she nodded when she felt his eyes on her.

deok-su sighed. he was too tired to be angry. he was too tired to feel anything, really.

"gun and goo visited when you were gone." he hummed, and every time he opened his mouth deok-ja could feel the guilt beginning to build up in her gut.

"i accepted their offer."

deok-ja whipped her head to look up at the older teen. "you what?!"

the older kil gave his sister a look. she swallowed painfully. none of this would've happened if she had stayed home and been the obedient puppy she never had been.

"i'm done with running, and you obviously don't care about the rules i made to keep us safe, so i'm making sure we don't get killed." he let the words flow simply, but to deok-ja they were anything but.

why was her brother, the one constant she was sure would never change, going against everything he believed in? the answer was so obvious, and deok-ja was not blind enough to ignore it. for whose sake, other than her own, would he be willing to go to such ends?