𝐗𝐗. the accident

─── chapter twenty.
❛ THE ACCIDENT ❜

YEARS AGO, the kils had been whole

YEARS AGO, the kils had been whole. though whole did not mean perfect — it meant complete.

back when they had someone to call 'mom' and someone to call 'dad'.

oh, wait.

that was never the case for the kil family. raised off broken glass and red handprints upon bleeding skin, held with contempt and not compassion. they were children made of hollow wood, adorned with the splinters of their father's hand and the chips of their mother's tongue.

it permeated their skin, marking the inklings of blue and purple galaxies upon their cheeks and jaws, trails of stars reaching down to their collars and sprinkling their knees. those caresses of that so-called love, so firm and so unwavering, like the strike of a clock hitting the hour.

kil deok-su and kil deok-ja had grown up drunk from their parent's love. a love so false that it was so easy to believe it was real.

with a father that ran his children the way he ran his gang, and a mother that loved her son and daughter the way she loved all those faceless men that crawled out of her room in the dead of night, the kil family was less of a family than one could imagine.

still, they were complete.

kil deok-su and kil deok-ja grew up with the illusion that love was their fists and that love was something that didn't exist outside adrenaline and pleasure.

their mother loved passionately. not them, of course, but the line of men stationed outside their door when the sun went down.

she didn't bother with her children. there was no ring around her finger, tossed away in her jewelry box and left to rot away, an eternal reminder of a family which she had no love to spare. two children to whom she did not wish to be 'mother' to.

as for the man she called her husband, he loved through violence. every bruise was an 'i love you', to both his children and his wife, embracing their bodies with his fists and kissing them with his rage.

but even then, the kils were still complete.

there was never the option of leaving. they lived in a ghost town, the only residents being their father's friends and a few other protestant vendors. nobody ever visited anymore, and the kils were hidden away from the world that would scorn at their cracked family and condemn the lives they lived.

their only escape was trading one prison for the next. school.

it was a living hell for the kil siblings. their love would never be accepted by the shiny faces of the other students; the bruises left on their cheeks, affection from either one of the siblings were met with tears and angry yells, bloody faces and broken bones.