𝐗𝐈𝐗. face to face

─── chapter nineteen.
❛ FACE TO FACE ❜

KIL DEOK-JA AWOKE TROUBLED

KIL DEOK-JA AWOKE TROUBLED. there was a gnawing guilt eating away at her, and slowly the bitten pieces became too obvious to kil deok-su that he actually brought it up on his own.

deok-ja was shoving eggs down her throat faster than she should've when deok-su pulled out the seat across from her and sat down, blank face pulled into a frown.

"what?" the younger of the two managed to say, mouth filled with half-chewed egg remains.

deok-su pursed his lips and stared at deok-ja for what felt like hours of silence. his brain seemed to be working, the cogs of his mind turning rapidly as he searched for the words he wanted to say.

"what's wrong?" he settled with at last, picking up a piece of egg with his rice.

the girl raised an eyebrow, swallowing thickly. she knew exactly what was wrong, but if deok-su, the 'king of cluelessness' could see right through her, she was not hiding it well.

"what are you talking about?" the younger kil rolled her eyes, avoiding saying anything more by taking a long sip of her water.

deok-su fixed her with a deadpan stare, his haunting eyes boring holes into her soul. if there was one thing he was good at, it was getting the information he wanted out of anyone. one look at those creepy, hollow-like eyes could send anyone to the darkest pits of hell.

"ever since vasco left to 'repay his debt', you've been acting differently." deok-su answered.

deok-ja sighed. while vasco's departure really left a chunk missing in her heart, it wasn't the reason for her moping. she knew he would return, eventually. the teen had left her with a promise, and deok-ja knew he wasn't one to go back on his word (the reason for his departure in the first place more than proved that fact). it was more about the past that kept coming back to her, and the melancholy that followed.

mostly, it was about her past that went by the name jake kim.

"it's not that." she shook her head. "i was thinking..."

the kil girl paused. deok-su stared at her, urging her to continue. she hesitated, anticipating her brother's reaction in her mind.

"...of visiting jake in the detention center." she finished, hastily adding on as she saw her brother's mouth open in protest.

"i know, it's a bad idea — but this is my only chance to see him again."

deok-su's jaw was set, and there was anger ticking at his lips and squeezing at his fists. "no."

"but — !" deok-ja tried to convince him, but there was no talking sense to an enraged beast.

"i said, no. you're my responsibility, and going there is the stupidest thing you could ever think of doing."