4

The sound of forks scraping plates and the quiet familiar chatter of the two men was actually somewhat comforting. Xiomara donned someone's shirt though she wasn't sure, between the two whose.

They spoke with a tenderness to one another.

"And?" Lev asked, spearing a carrot. "What did they say at the docks?"

Mikhail's eyes darted to Xiomara. "Must we talk about work at the dinner table? In front of guests no less." Mikhail sighed, spooning potatoes into his mouth.

Lev waved his agreement, sipping his water. "The head maid wants a raise. Something about inflation, and a sick grandchild or something of the sort."

"Should be in budget," Mikhail remarked.

Lev frowned. "Even if it is. Is it our duty to cure her sick grandchild? We sponsored her here from Russia, give her hefty salary–"

Mikhail's eyes darted one again to Xiomara. Lev's eyes narrowed following his gaze.

"What do you think," Lev asked, intertwining his hands, resting his chin on top of them.

"Elbows," Mikhail admonished softly. Lev ignored him.

"She's asking for 2k more than we're giving her a month. Should we?" He asked.

Xiomara looked up from her mashed potatoes clearing her throat. "Do you have the money?"

"We do," Lev responded.

"Is she good at her job?"

Lev nodded.

Xiomara shrugged. "Then why not? Please get raises every year for good performance."

Lev smiled softly and picked his is fork. "Fine. It's done."

Xiomara picked up her cup, hiding her frown. They had two thousand dollars a month to just...use? Just on her whim? Then again, they seemed rich. She didn't know what they did. Mikhail was always so vague.

There was silence for a moment before Mikhail cleared his throat.

"We should fix up a proper guest from, for our guest," Mikhail smiled at Xiomara softly. "New comforters, towels and such."

Lev glanced between the two of them. "But of course. I let a rat scurry away from me last night."

Mikhail's gaze snapped to him, a warning flashing in his dark eyes. Lev just smiled, ignoring the warning.

"Rats? In a house like this?" Xiomara asked.

"Hm...rats in a house are pesky thing aren't they? You never know what they've tampered with. Dirty little paws getting into everything. I caught it and I...well I just couldn't decided whether he should live or die."

Mikhail slammed his hands on table, standing suddenly. "Lev. Shut the fuck up."

Lev chuckled, wiping his mouth. "You know she would've just thought it was animal, if you hadn't reacted like that. I told you about that temper."

Xiomara looked between the two of them. "So you two are...criminals of some sort?"

"No," Mikhail whispered.

"Precisely," Lev said over top Mikhail. "Is that okay with you?"

Xiomara swallowed. "Depends. What kind of criminals?"

Mikhail closed his eyes. "Xiomara, I'm sorry I don't know what's gotten into Lev—"

"Not the heinous kind," Lev said. "No human trafficking, no dealing in harming children or women. Nothing too disgusting. But it isn't clean either."