20

"Did you know! Lev! answer me! Did you know?" Mikhail yelled, holding the limo child. "What happened? How did this happen?"

Lev paced. "We have to get her to the hospital we have to—"

Mikhail shook his head rocking her, her head in his neck as he screamed. "Why! Why is this happening?"

Lev swallowed. "I didn't know they would take her I thought...I thought—I thought it was a bluff it—"

"I didn't...I didn't give in," Katya smiled shakily, her eyes closed. "Papa Lev."

Lev turned around closing his eyes, putting his hand over his mouth his eyes stinging tears.

"I know," Mikhail whispered. "You...you did a good job, katydid."

Mikhail glared up at him.

"She's not gonna make it! You were supposed to protect her!"

"Don't be mad at papa Lev," she whispered. "Papa...come hold my hand."

Lev closed his eyes tighter shaking his head. "I can't."

"You have to," Mikhail whispered.

"Papa? Papa please?"

Lev just shook his head, quietly crying. "I can't. I can't. I just—I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Mikhail felt her life drain from her small body, his tears falling on her face, as he brushed her hair, her outstretched hand falling limply.

"Why didn't you hold her hand?" Mikhail whispered.

Mikhail shifted.

"Katya was...our daughter. She died when she was 7. We were young, new to the states to the drug game. He..." Mikhail swallowed roughly. "We lost her years ago."

Xiomara squeezed her hand. "Sorry I asked."

He shook us head and smiled. "No...it's okay. We don't talk about her, often. But...we loved her. And now she's gone."

Mikhail's normally warm eyes frosted over, his gaze empty, as she stared off into the distance as if he were remembering something.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Me too." He stood and smiled, patting her knee, standing. "You never get over the loss of a child. I hope you never experience. It scoops out your insides and leaves you hollow."

Xiomara had questions but knew better than to ask them. The grief was fresh and real, like a fresh cut, brimming with blood, tender and sore to the touch.

"Are you gonna visit Lev in prison?" She changed the subject.

He grabbed his watch, putting it on. "No. That version of him just fills me with anxiety. I'm have to head out to work."

Xiomara grabbed his hand, and silently pulled him into a hug. "It's not your fault."

He chuckled nervously. "What?"

"It's not your fault," she whispered.

He frowned. "You don't even know what happened how dna you say—"

She squeezed harder. "It's not your fault."

He held onto her, hugging her back, inhaling deeply. "She was just a baby, really. Barely got to live." Mikhail's phone rang.He cleared his throat, closing his eyes.

"I...have to go."

Mikhail inhaled softly. He tried not to think of it. Of her. Of what happened. Of how it broke them. But life went on. It was all he could do. He arrived at the docks.

"What's the urgent—"

He paused, noting the child.

"She stowed away. She's a witness what to do."

She was so young. Just as young as his Katya was when she...he looked into her eyes. The best thing was to kill her. She was old enough to be a witness.

He kneeled down in front of her. What horrible timing. "What's your name?"

"Jasmine."

He smiled and nodded. "Do you know where you are?"

She nodded.

And how could he hurt a child just like his own? And yet...

"Do you know who I am?" Mikhail asked.

She shook her head. Mikhail pressed his lips together.

"Should we...?"

"Do you think you can forgive me?" He whispered, his eyes filling with tears.

The little girl nodded gently. He looked away, over her should with a nod, tears falling down his face. "Okay."

He stood, walking away.

"Boss? What do we do?"

Mikhail shook his head. "I don't know. I...you decide." He walked away. And then he paused. They were trained by Lev. They always took the most savage route.

"No, wait you—"

A shot went off. He closed his eyes all the air leaving his lungs. A small splash resonated on the dock. He closed his eyes tighter, walking away.

"Forgive me." He whispered. He hoped she'd closed her eyes. It was a terrible frightening view. Mikhail got back to his car leaning his head on the steering wheel, letting the tears fall.

He'd always warned Lev against being a monster. But could he say he was any better.

"Please forgive. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He sobbed. He stayed there until the sun went down, his tears finally drying. He stared out at the night wondering when all his actions would catch up with him. Was the catch in his chest every time he rested the punishment? The way he couldn't sleep without aid? The mess with Lev?

He dialed a number and waited.

"You know you're not supposed to call this unless it's an emergency."

Mikhail sniffled.

"What's wrong Mikhail?"

He closed his eyes. "I miss you. I miss you, Lev."

"...I miss you too, love. I'll be back soon, okay?"

Mikhail bit his lip. "Katya would've been 20. What do you think you would've been?"

"Beautiful. She would've been beautiful."

Mikhail sat with that.