39

After the first season of the Real Housewives ended, Xiomara realized she had been treated like an iPad kid. She got up with a yawn, wondering what time it was, what day it was.

Lev and Mikhail conversed quietly in the kitchen. She wiped her eye. "That was a nasty trick, Mikhail. I need a drink."

"No," Mikhail said gently.

Xiomara blinked at him, stunned to silence. Lev's eyes darted between the two, as Xiomara confusion mounted.

"Do you...not know what that means?" Mikhail asked.

Xiomara frowned. "My eyes are stinging. And they're blurry. And wet." She lifted her finger to her lid, catching a tear.

Mikhail stood. "Are you that upset I said no," He murmured, holding her face in concern.

"There you go again," She sniffled. "What is wrong with me? Am I sick?"

Mikhail hazarded a glance to Lev. "Well...something like that."

She looked down as it flooded back to her, The test. She had thrown it at Lev that day on the pier. With everything going on she'd just forgotten about it.

Her stomach turned. "Oh hell no."

"Let's think about our options--" Mikhail started as she darted to the bathroom, violently vomiting. Lev crossed his arms leaning against the wall.

"I'm thinking she's only going to one option," He drawled.

Mikhail shot him a glare. "And you're okay with that?"

Lev shrugged. "Meh.."

Mikhail frowned remarking to himself silently that it was just like Lev to be so useless at a time like this.

"Lev, I just told you about this, why do you look so shocked?"

Xiomara ventured out, wiping the vomit form her mouth. "That's his shocked face?"

Lev gave a shrug, nonchantly looking between the two. He blinked before widening his eyes. "Wait you mean you're pregnant?"

"What did you think I was talking about that day?" Mikhail shouted.

"I thought we were talking about her little suicide attempt!"

"You tried to kill yourself?!" Mikhail shrieked.

"Why were you looking so nonchalantly at the thought of me killing myself," Xiomara inquired.

Lev shrugged. "I don't want to stop you from pursuing your dreams, you know if that's really what you want to do--"

"You knew I was pregnant?!" Xiomara shouted suddenly, cutting Lev off who quirked his brow but shrugged.

Mikhail chuckled nervously. "Well you threw the test at me so I...obviously peaked."

"Let's all just calm down," Lev proclaimed, finally pushing off of the wall. "And let's ask the question that matters,"

"Am I gonna keep it," She whispered.

Lev shook his head. "No. Is it mine?"

Mikhail and Xiomara stared at him with venom, arms crossed. He raised his hands in surrender, backing up. "I'm seriously outmatched in this house. I want a girlfriend who only agrees with me so the vote can be even."

Theirs burned hotter making him purse his lips, chuckling nervously. "Kidding. Look obviously joyous thoughts abound at the thought of my son, we'll just call him mine--"

"What the hell?!"

"Yeah, but let's think this through." Lev postured, opening his hands, "On one hand the Vitale did promise to kill my child."

"He what?" Mikhail swore.

"On the other, these genes cannot be restricted."

"Lev," Xiomara said solemnly. "This is serious."

Lev looked between the two before sighing. "Of course it is. We'll support you no matter what. We're family, Xiomara. You're the only one with a womb in this house. You chose if you want it or not."

Mikhail shifted. "But we vote--"

Lev put his hands across Mikhail's mouth muffling the sound. "We don't vote. Mikhail, as you can see by his pitiful kicked puppy expression would like a child."

Mikhail narrowed his eyes, biting into Lev's hand who didn't react.

"I don't mind either way. But we've been parents before...so it would be your first, but we have some experience. You know right up into late childhood and then...well. The point is, we've got this."

Xiomara turned around. "Let's just watch Married to Medicine." Mikhail opened his mouth to oblige but Lev jsut shook his head silently.

"That's a great idea," He opted for, and as Xiomara's eyes went vacant watching realilty TV, lev pulled Mikhail in the room.

"That works alarmingly well, we need to make sure no one finds that weakness," Lev frowned watching her from the bedroom.

"What's all this talk about me being fine either way? I'm not fine either way!" Mikhail shouted.

Lev sighed, laying back on the bed, his arms behind his head as he looked at the ceiling. "It's like this: When Xiomara feels pressure, she disappears. The best way to keep her around is to keep the pressure off. I told you, a family is all she's ever wanted,"

He sits up. "The best thing to do is follow her lead. If she doesn't want to talk about, then don't. She'll forget about it until she goes into labor. And Mikhail?"

"Hm?"

Lev just grinned. Mikhail blushed looking away, understanding the silent statment. Lev wanted a baby too.

• • •
Chapter 40 is up in Patreon now!