43

Xiomara sat against the door sinking down it with dismay. Of course Mikhail locked her up. He was supposed to be the soft one, but ironically it was always him doing the imprisoning. How misleading. She heaved a sigh.

"Lev, please let me out," she called.

He sighed. "I would, but he'll try to bite me too. I'm just the dog, remember."

Of course. "Then...later after he's gone to sleep?" She whispered.

Lev slid down the door, pressing his back against it. "It's not likely I'll escape without punishment. I could let you escape. But in Mikhail's eyes it'll be like I'm killing one of his children again. I can't bear the shame."

Xiomara sighed. What a mess. What had she expected, getting in bed with gangsters anyway? If only she had thought things through. If she had someone to tell her better. Maybe she should've known better.

She looked down at her belly, heaving a sigh, finally putting her hand to it. She had been avoiding it subconsciously, touching her belly.

"Do you really think she'll be happy here?" Xiomara asked gently.

"She?" Lev inquired somewhat quietly, worrying the lads of his fingers against the grain of the wood flooring.

"The baby. You two will never let the drug business go. And even if you try, it won't let go of you. And I'm not fit to be a mother in any capacity. She doesn't need this. She doesn't need me."

She closed her eyes, leaning against the doorway. "What kind of home would I bringing her into? What kind of message am I sending? Can you picture it? A little girl, standing next to you, her little fingers against the door, tears in her eyes, while I'm locked on the other side?"

Lev glanced at the empty space next to him. He could see on his minds eyes, a little tot, her hair in soft, tight coils like her mother, slicked back in a ponytail. Her little hands clenched the bottom of her shirt, her eyes brimming with tears.

He closed his eyes. "I made amends you know?"

"Oh?" She murmured.

He nodded. "Went round to everyone I could think of that I wronged—"

"You probably missed a few," she chimed.

He chuckled. "Asked for forgiveness. I want to get right with karma or god or whoever. Just in case. So she can live happy life—so we can live a happy life together."

"Even though I won't be happy?" Xiomara added. "I might be able to fake it. Force myself into the role. But I won't be happy, Lev."

He looked down. "What do you want me to do, Xiomara?"

"Let me out before Mikhail comes back. I'll have the child and leave them with you. And I'll...probably come back. But if you keep me here? It'll just get ugly."

Lev looked down at his hands. "If I let you go...Mikhail will leave me. Then you'll be gone, the baby will be gone. Everyone will be gone."

He swallowed roughly. Ironically, he didn't agree with Mikhail's methods. Lev was always someone for violence but this? This was too far. Imprisoning the mother of their child, the woman they loved...it was beyond even him. But that was the difference between them. Mikhail used extreme violence as a last resort—but when he resorted to it he would not turn back.

"I...understand. It's hard being alone. No one wants to be alone," she whispered. "I'm afraid of it too. That's why I'm in this mess."

She closed her eyes.

"You'll try to kill yourself again?" He rasped.

"Probably. Eventually. Or maybe after a while I'll forget." She shrugged. "Maybe I'll feel too guilty. I'll be afraid she'll find me."

Lev swallowed roughly, his stomach turning as the image forced its way into his brain. Why had Mikhail done this? What a fucking mess.

Xiomara hummed a little song, trying to distract herself. She couldn't escape now, that much was clear but if she played the game and went along, eventually she could get out.

The door opened suddenly. Lev stood there his gaze cold and sad. He offered his hand.

She looked at it. "What are you doing?"

"The right thing. For once. Come on. Hurry. Mikhail is not one to be trifled with when it comes to family. We've got to get out you now."

Xiomara took his hand and he led her through the house, checking each corner.

"Take off your bracelet," he ordered.

She did so without question. Lev led her to the car, and sighed his heart pounding. Mikhail would know what he'd done. He'd check the mileage. He'd know the car was too warm.

Still, he would have to deal with him later.

Lev drove Xiomara quietly. "Where are you going to go?" He asked.

She shrugged. "Somewhere far enough away you two can't just show up but close enough that I can leave her with you."

Lev heaved a sigh. "I'll wire money in your account. I'll keep track of you. If there's anything you need or anything wrong call me."

Xiomara nodded.

Lev looked at her fiercely in the rear view. "Promise me. Promise me you'll call."

"I promise."

"Take pictures and videos okay? We want to see you grow. See her grow. I won't share them until you have her."

Xiomara looked down at herself. "Okay," she said quietly.

He sighed again. "This is going to break his heart. It's breaking my heart. But...I have a read on people."

Xiomara looked up and found Lev smiling in the rearview. "And I think, you'll be back. I think you know we love you. We're your family now. Fucked up family, but we're your family. They say if you love something to let it go, and it'll come back to you."

He stopped outside a nice hotel, handing her a large wad of cash.

"Come back." He said softly.

Xiomara kissed his cheek, and then his forehead, before kissing his lips, taking the money. She shut the door behind her, and he watched her disappear into the lobby.

He sat there waiting for a bit, before driving away.