9

Mikhail inhaled softly, entering the house as quietly as he could. Two figures lay twisted on the couch. He smiled, tapping the smaller of the two in the dark. Xiomara raised her head grunting.

Mikhail raised his finger to his lips. "It's hard for Lev to sleep," he whispered, holding out his hands. She steadied herself on his arm, before he picked her up, walking toward the bedroom. His stomach rumbled.

Xiomara looked down at him tiredly with a soft smile. "Hungry?"

Mikhail blushed and nodded. "Yes. But the chef isn't in until early tomorrow."

"I can whip something up for you," She tapped him. He let her down, following after her as she strayed toward the kitchen.

"Oh you don't have to--"

"It's fine. I like cooking. It's calming,"

Mikhail smiled, watching her turn on the kitchen light. He gave a glance to Lev who was still sleeping. Xiomara opened the fridge, scrutinizing the ingredients.

"Saucepan? Nonstick preferably." She asked, her mind working as she tried to come up with a recipe with the ingredients they had.

"Yes chef!" Mikhail grinned, going into the cabinet.

Xiomara chuckled. "Oil too please," She smiled, gathering her ingredients and putting them out.

"Should I preheat the stove to medium flame?"

Xiomara glanced over her shoulder, beginning to chop her vegetables. "That would be perfect. I need salt, pepper, mh...a bay leaf , some oregano, rosemary. and some flour."

Mikhail pulled out the things she asked for, smiling as she got to work. He stood behind her, his strong arms around her middle as she stood over the stove, sautéing vegetables.

"How was work?" She asked.

"...I had an interesting time. I wasn't exactly pleased with the performance of one of my workers. How was Lev?"

He squeezed her a bit.

"Good. We had a good time," She shrugged. "He's...interesting. So different from you." She hummed. "It's not bad though. Like the best of both worlds."

Mikhail's lips pressed the nape of her neck where it met her shoulder, his hands on her hips. Xiomara enjoyed the warmth of him radiating into her body, like her own personal heater. Mikhail hummed, snuggling into her further.

"Beef stew?" He inquired.

"How'd you know?" She hummed.

He shrugged.

"You can cook can't you?"

He hid his face in her neck. "I just like watching you do it. You're so sexy when you're focused."

Mikhail moved her curls to her shoulder, revealing a mark. He narrowed his eyes, sucking on the spot, making it a more violent purple. She hissed.

"What are you doing?" She chuckled.

"Sending a message," he murmured, pressing himself against her. "You and Lev getting along alright? He can be forceful. Sometime's he forgets his strength--"

"It's fine. We're coming along. You seem worried he'll hurt me."

"Not on purpose. But he's used to me. And...I am used to him. You know how much I worry for you, Mara."

"I'm not a fragile flower," She grinned. He kissed her. "I know. But you're my flower. Malen'kiy tsvetok. My little flower."

Xiomara's skin heated at his soft, warm words of endearment falling on her skin like gentle rain. He was always so kind. So sweet.

"Mikhail..." She whispered.

He turned her around, cupping her cheek, pulling her into a kiss, pulling her hips toward him, sandwiching her between himself and the counter. Xiomara's body heated to a fever pitch, his bulge pressed against her belly, those dark eyes hooded and full of desire.

His dark eyes dropped down to her full lips.

"Mara," He rasped, his hands flexing, tightening on her hips. "My beautiful little flower...what I wouldn't do to consume you whole."

"You sound like your husband," She whispered breathlessly.

He smirked. "Not yet. I won't have yet."

"Even if I offer?" She whispered.

He nodded. "I live a life of sin. Lev and I. I'm not sure, that after you know, me you'll want to be mine."

"I think I know you enough," She whispered, pressing herself against him, her breasts warm against his broad chest.

A tempting offer. An offer he would decline for now.

"I'm not too different from Lev. Once I set my sights on something...Once I want someone to be mine. I don't let go. I sink my fangs in...and I hold on."

"I'm not trying to get away. no need for fangs or claws." She smiled, nibbling on his lobe, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Just as the two closed in to steal another kiss, phones all over the house went off. The two in his pocket, Lev's watch, the house phone she'd never noticed, and cell phones placed inconspicuously around the home. The whole house seemed to be ringing.

Lev was heard in the distance muttering a slew of curses in Russian. Mikhail pulled away, glancing at it.

"Fucks sake, Mikhail we gotta go." Lev called from the other room.

Mikhail paused by the door, looking over Xiomara's face. Her color seemed drained.

"Mikhail what the fuck are you doing it's an emergency —" lev stopped looking between the two.

"You'll be okay?" Mikhail asked softly.

Lev cursed, running his hands through his hair. "This is all very touching but we have don't have time."

Mikhail took her hand. "We won't be gone long. I promise."

Lev frowned, taking off his watch, closing it in her hands. "Just watch this. He'll be back soon." He assured her, patting her head before dragging Mikhail, who's eyes could not be torn away from Xiomara.

"It will be fine, my little flower. I promise!" He shouted as the door shut leaving her alone.

The one thing she hated. Being alone. She sat against the stove staring at the watch.  And then she made a mistake. She picked her phone, scrolling though her photos. She smiled at some of her selfies, wincing at others.

And then she went too back far.

She say faces she didn't want to, her fingers hovered over the delete button but she sighed, continuing to scroll anyway. It was odd, the life a person loved in a camera roll. All the way parts, cherry picked and presented in chronological order as you watch yourself get younger and happier.

People come and go, but always the best parts. Only the parts you'd hate to lose.

And then she found it. Her eyes welled up. A picture of a much younger her. One she couldn't erased. They looked so happy. Her mother, father and her.

She'd made them take it.