38

Lev slammed down his drink with a frown. Every time he saw her, he kept seeing her dying. He couldn't break free of it. It was...disturbing him.

"I have always wondered about destiny. Honor. No honor among thieves,"

Lev narrowed his eyes. "You piece of shit," Lev drew his gun quickly, forcing his gun into Alessandro's mouth. "You won't have to worry about your destiny. I'm gonna make sure it ends right here. Right now."

Alessandro scoffed, pulling back. "I must say I'm intrigued. Can I ask how it feels?"

Lev narrowed his eyes. "What?"

Alessandro's lips tugged up into a sly smile. "Losing."

Lev stood, edging his gun closer. "I haven't lost anything yet. No...you haven't taken anything from me yet. My husband is still here. My girlfriend is fine."

"What about your friend, Jean? Talk to him lately? What about your baby?" Alessandro asked.

Lev narrowed his eyes. "My daughter died a long time ago."

"Hm," Alessandro hummed.

Lev hesitated. "What the fuck is your problem? Really. I mean...you have been harassing us. Then you disappear and reappear. I know obsession when I see it."

Alessandro smiled softly. "Of course, you would. Lev Romanoff, lover boy. Everyone falls for you. Everyone wants to fuck you. Oh, but you're not picky. You'll fuck anything that moves."

Lev narrowed his eyes. "Is that what this is about?"

Alessandro looked him in his eyes, as Lev edged his gun closer.

"No..." Lev softly, looking between his eyes. "You're too persistent for that. It's more. What more do you want from us, Vitale?"

Alessandro shrugged. "It's destiny. Italians and Russians fighting in America to be the top criminal organization. It's as it should be."

Lev scoffed. He couldn't seriously be hunting him based on some stereotype like a child clinging to a storybook?

Alessandro grinned. "I want you."

Lev frowned. "Want me? If it makes you disappear, I'll fuck you. But I'm told it's not the cure-all people think it is. Makes 'em want more. I don't have more."

Lev would've unloaded his gun into Alessandro's mouth but that would just bring the full wrath of the entire Vitale nation on their heads.

"I would kill you," Lev sneered.

Alessandro smiled softly. "But you can't. So...let's talk."

Lev pushed him away roughly, sitting back on his stool, nodding to the bartender, who had hidden under the bar for another drink.

Alessandro glanced at Lev, his blond, shaggy hair lustrous and shining. His sharp features were even, as he took a sip from his drink, those bright blue eyes hidden behind his lids.

Even Alessandro had to admit, Lev was beautiful. He seemed to have walked out of a magazine. He understood, why everyone fawned over him. Humans were not meant to see that kind of beauty so often.

"So...what is it that you want? It's not us, right? It's me?" Lev turned around a small graceful smile on his face. "What is it that you want from me?"

Alessandro nodded. "That is the million dollar question...isn't it?"

Lev shrugged. "So?"

"How's your kid?" Alessandro asked nonchalantly.

Lev clenched his jaw. "You have one more time to bring up my dead daughter before I hurt you. Consequences be damned."

Alessandro cocked his head. "I'm not talking about the dead one."

Lev narrowed his eyes. "I assume I've fathered many children over the years? You've located one of my bastards?"

Alessandro waved his hand. "I don't have any children of yours. What good would that do me? You're a callous man after all."

Lev scoffed but didn't reply. Alessandro didn't seem keen to do anything but bitch cryptically in his ear about nothing. So, he just decided to do what he originally came to the bar for. To think.

He kept thinking about how he couldn't help but see her dying. It made his stomach turn. Why was it happening?

"When I first came here, I asked around about who was the most influential group here," Alessandro said softly. "I kept getting the same answer. The Brothers Romanoff."

Lev nodded. "So you targeted us because we were strong?"

"Target? You make it sound so sinister, amico." Alessandro shrugs coolly, with a sly smirk.

But Lev was too disturbed to continue with the back and forth Alessandro seemed so gleefully eager to partake in.

Lev stood, turning his back. Alessandro pulled him back roughly.

Lev scoffed, looking down at him. "What? You wanna go toe to toe with me pretty boy? Just you and me?"

Alessandro scoffed. "You couldn't handle me then, you can't handle me now."

Lev licked his lips, brushing Alessandro's cheek. "Try me. I'll give you the first shot. No guns, no knives, no girlfriends to shoot at. Just you and me? Can you handle that, Vitale?"

Alessandro looked him in his eyes. "You want that? Me and you?"

Lev smirked. "Oh...you want me bad don't you?"

Alessandro smirked back, his dark hair slicked back, a singular hair falling out of place.

"I heard you're a reader of people," Alessandro whispered. "What do you see?"

Lev looked him up and down. "You think we're alike. Because you see that I have a cold heart, and I use people like pawns. You think I'm sticking to Mikhail and Xiomara because I don't know what else to do. You think you'll free me to your debase version of sociopathy."

Alessandro just peered back at him. "And?"

Lev narrowed his eyes. "And you are wrong. I am not like you. Though I also have a cold gaze, and the blood of many men is on my hands...and I enjoyed spilling it, and I have walked with the devil my whole life...I am still not like you."

Alessandro scoffed nodding his encouragement. "And why is that?"

Lev scoffed. "Because people love me. They...love me." As he spoke, the words rang true. Oh...Alessandro wasn't unaware of that.

"Now...why should you be allowed that? We're the same. And when you have no one..." Alessandro smiled. "You'll have me."

Lev put his hands on Alessandro's shoulders, making his eyes widen.

"I think you'll find someone you love one day. Probably even soon, you're young. I hope you love them. I hope you love them like I love Mikhail with your whole heart. I hope you love them like I love Xiomara, occupying your whole mind. I hope every step you take away from them makes your soul ache and your body shiver."

Lev smiled caressing Alessandro's cheek. "And I hope they love you. And it's beautiful, and eventually...you come to need it. I hope you come to rely on it to trust in it that she'll be there. Waiting. Loving you."

Alessandro's eyes closed.

"And then...when you're so happy you think you could burst...I'm going to take her from you."

Alessandro's eyes burst open. Lev smiled patting his cheek. "If you keep pursing my family, I am not going to kill you. I am going to your life as wonderful and beautiful as I can. So I can burn it all to fucking ash. Even worse if you manage to kill them. I'll live. I always do. And the only thing I will love...is your destruction."

Lev smiled and pulled back. "So I guess what I'm saying is...choose your next actions carefully. Because right now I am a man with people I love. And they are all I have. When you take all someone has...there is no limit to what they'll do, for revenge."

Lev smiled softly, patting his shoulder and walking past him.

* * *

Read chapter 39 on Patreon a week ahead:)