41

"How do you sleep at night?"

Lev raised his brows. "With a man on one side and a woman on the other side and my dick out in case either one of 'em wanna give me a suck. What about you?"

Jean sighed. "Why'd come see me, Cherie?"

Lev shrugged. "I'm making amends. Tying up loose ends you know. Getting right with Karma."

He put his hands in his pockets. If Mikhail knew he'd met up with Jean he'd never hear the end of his bitching. Jean's hair was swept back, neatly. He looked healthy. Like he as living a good life.

"Oh? So what is it that you're tryna do?" Jean remarked. "And do you really think Karma is so blind that it can't see your ill intended apologies?"

I raise my brow putting my hands behind my head and leaning back in the chair. "English is not my first language. I can't understand stuff so contrived."

Jean chuckles. "Did you really just try to play dumb with me, Lev? I've known you for a decade, cherie. You know exactly what I'm saying. If you believe in karma, do you think you can fool it so easily?"

Lev cleared his throat. "Believe is a strong word. Let's call it, covering my bases." He shrugged. "It's a nice place."

Jean's back was to Lev, as he cooked. "I didn't know you knew where I was. Shoulda known, huh?"

Lev just shrugged. Jean shifted, setting a plate in front of him. Lev looked it cautiously. "What is it?"

Jean crossed his arms. "Food. Eat it or don't. So what is it that's going on? Why do you need karma on your side?"

Lev put the fork to his mouth before beginning to eat with gusto. "I'm with child."

Jean's eyes strayed to his belly. Lev rolled his eyes. "Not literally me, you idiot. My...partner. You'
e had my dick in your ass, show some intelligence."

"You're a interesting guy, Cherie. I never know what to expect," Jean shrugged, sitting across from him at the table. "So you're having a baby you plan to keep."

"That's the plan."

Jean smiled. "Good for you, Lev. You look well loved and fed."

Lev scoffed. "What am I stray cat?"

"Something like that," Jean grinned. "You remind me of a stray cat. At least, the you I know. The Lev Romanoff those people are acquainted with is probably different, ain't it?"

Lev smiled ruefully. "Hm. Not really. I bless everyone with same version of me."

"We both know that ain't true, cherie."

Lev swallowed and sighed. "Well...it was nice to see you."

"Not really. You shouldn't show up at my door like that. I almost blew your head off."

"Well now, aren't you glad you didn't?"

Jean just smiled and the two sat in quiet silence for a while before Lev took his leave, heading home. He sniffed himself as he entered the house. He should shower soon or Mikhail would sniff out the creole on him and flip the fuck out.

"You smell different,"

Lev glanced back finding Xiomara. She smiled. "Did you go out to eat?"

Lev nodded. "Yeah. Where's Mikhail?"

Xiomara shrugged. "I dunno. I think he said he had an errand to run. I was half asleep, so I wasn't really listening."

Lev grinned. How cute could she be? She was a different kind of cute than Mikhail, somehow. She rubbed her eye, shifting her spot looking around, still tired.

"He probably got lost and ended up back in Russia."

Her eyes widened. "Huh? Can he get that lost? What the hell?"

Lev swallowed his smirk. "Yeah, he's done it before. I bet he's on a plane right now wondering what happened."

Xiomara sighed. "You know that personality of yours leaves a lot to be desired. What kind of sense of humor is that?"

"When you have a face like that you have to expect to be teased," he pinched her cheeks. "You look so cute...I have to torment you."

Xiomara's eyes widened, shimmering. "Lev...don't be mean to me."

His heart pounded as he looked away. Holy shit. She was getting good at that wasn't she? She heaved a sigh and sat down on the couch, stretching out.

Lev watched her carefully. "Hey, Xiomara?"

She stretched with a yawn. Lev looked away. Maybe he was instinctively drawn to cute people. Mikhail had an adorable side too.

"Hm?"

He sat next to her, rubbing her thigh idly. "You and Mikhail mean everything to me."

Xiomara locked eyes with him. "Why are you saying that?"

Lev scoffed. "I just keep having these dreams. That you're going to disappear. You and Mikhail. And...I'm not one for fear. But it's...unsettling."

Xiomara turned around, putting her head in his lap. He stroked her hair idly. "I care about you, Xiomara. I love you both so deeply."

Xiomara basked in his warmth, pulling him closer. "I love you too."

Lev froze, wondering if she'd ever said that before. But he just smiled .

"Of course you do. I'm absolutely the best."

• • •
Chapter 41 is up on Patreon :) it'll be up here on Wednesday 4/12/23