48

Lev shifted.

"I don't believe in this, you know." Lev informed. "I'm doing this so I can tell my partners I did."

The woman across from him with a clip board in her hand. She was pretty.

"That's okay." She smiled softly. "We can talk as long as you'd like,"

Lev swallowed. "I requested a man."

"I'm sorry. Did the receptionist not let you know I would be talking to you? We can put you back on the wait list if you'd like."

Lev just shook his head. "It's fine. I just requested a man is all," He watched her write hurriedly. "Are you writing that down?"

"I'm just taking notes for my memory. I know you said you did not prefer to be recorded."

"We can make another kind of tape if you'd like," Lev smirked.

Dr. Collen looked up and smiled. "Do you often make sexual remarks when you're nervous?"

Lev went silent. "I requested a man."

"So you've said. Twice now. Is there a reason?"

Lev looked away. "No reason. Let's get this over with."

Dr. Collen just smiled. "Tell me what brought you in today?"

Lev heaved a sigh. "I'm weaning myself off violence. For the sake of my family. Xiomara, the mother of my child, she suggested therapy. And Mikhail had this face on his stupid face that said he agreed so here I am."

"And they're you're partners?" She inquired.

Lev nodded. "Yes. I love them deeply."

"I believe you. It isn't easy to take this step especially when you're not exactly comfortable with the process."

Lev grinned. "I'm usually the one doing the psychoanalyzing. It's why I don't prefer it, you see."

"You seem to have an accent. Russian?"

He nodded. "I'm an immigrant."

"Mikhail too?"

Lev nodded, crossing his arms. "We came together as young teens with our...Katya. Our daughter."

"A daughter. How old is she?"

"Forever 6."

Dr. Collen paused. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

Lev shrugged. "It was years ago."

"Doesn't mean it hurts any less," She assured him, adjusting her glasses.

"I like a little pain. How about you," He grinned.

Dr. Collen cocked her head. "You really do make sexual remarks when you're uncomfortable. Unfortunately, therapy can very uncomfortable, but I won't be able to continue with kind of language. Try saying something like: I don't want to talk about this. Or, not right now, okay?

Lev blinked. "I requested a man."

Dr. Collen licked her lips. "I wonder if I may be reminding you of someone."

"My girlfriend. She's intelligent. The only person other than Mikhail who can analyze me. The only woman. I knew I wouldn't like it."

She smiled softly. "I see. Would you like to stop here, and pick up with a male therapist?"

Lev shook his head. "No. It'll keep me honest."

"Which is what you were afraid of?"

Lev narrowed his eyes. "I'm not afraid of anything."

"Is that important to you, to not be afraid?"

Lev smiled softly. "My girlfriend is pregnant. She's due quite soon actually, only a week or two left."

Dr. Collen smiled back. "Congratulations. Are you excited?"

"I'm nervous."

"It's to be expected," Dr. Collen assured him.

Lev shifted. "I spend my days wondering what I can do. For the people I love. I've only ever known violence. Now that no longer serves a purpose. I no longer serve a purpose."

He looked out the window, watching a family of birds nestled on the ledge.

"My crassness, my overt sexuality, my thirst for blood. None of it fits anymore. We've become a wholesome iteration of ourselves. But I'm an entertainer."

"And she demands to be entertained. That was our original purpose, after all. To entertain us. I just worry she'll disappear now that things are boring."

Dr. Collins looked over to Xiomara. "What do you say to that, Xiomara?"

A heavily pregnant Xiomara put her hands on Lev's knee. "I love you two, Lev. You don't have to entertain me."

Mikhail sat on the other side of her, rubbing her back as she fought back tears.

"It's just hormones, I'm not a crier," She said between gasps.

"The future will be bright," Mikhail said softly. "For the three of us."

Dr. Collins smiled and nodded. "I agree."

The session wrapped up, and Dr. Collins cleaned up, setting her clipboard away.

"Dr. Collins?"

A dark haired young man grinned. "I'm early?"

"You are, Alessandro, by an hour actually."

His eyes twinkled. "My my. I suppose I have nothing else to do. War is over. What on earth am I to do now?"

His lithe fingers, dragged along the seat that had just been occupied.

***

The group walked to their car, the two men with a hand each on Xiomara's back.

"If I don't have this baby soon," Xiomara started, heaving a sigh as the men helped her into a car. "I'm hot and so so tired."

Mikhail sat in the back with her. "Don't worry. They'll induce you if you don't have her in a week," He soothed her.

The back of Lev's neck prickled. He glanced back to see a familiar silhouette. His phone rang.

"Lev Romanoff," he answered calmly, his eyes on that figure in the distance.

"It's been a while, hasn't it? Take a look at the menagerie, huh? Such a strange lot you three. Or I suppose I should say four now," Alessandro's voice filled Lev's ears.

"Yeah it's been a while," Lev answered vaguely.

"Oh? You don't want them to know about me?"

"I'm busy right now, Father."

Alessandro chuckled. "Well well...you've changed haven't you."

"I'm trying."

"Yeah...you've changed. But not enough."

Lev hung up and stared ahead. Mikhail said nothing for a moment.

"Did we just change course?" Lev asked on edge.

"Yes," Xiomara wheezed. "My water broke. Sorry for the seats."

Lev blinked and grinned. "Holy shit. Okay. Okay I was thinking we'd be murdered, this is progress."

Mikhail smiled. "We'll be here, Mara. Every moment. We won't leave you."

She smiled. "Good. Because to be clear, I'm so terrified."