40

Father Henry raised his eyes as the church door opened. He preached to an empty pulpit, as the lone man strayed further into the church, sitting down on the pew.

"And the lord said...let there be light. Light. Gods light. And yet here the world is...bathed in darkness." Father Henry narrowed his eyes.

The shackles around his legs jangled, as he pulled out his flask taking a swig. "But who's to say anything. Is it not all gods will? He said let there be light and there was. So did he not say...let there be darkness?"

"Father Henry," Lev murmured.

Henry sniffed, taking another swig. "Having trouble getting it up? I told ye, it was a chance I had to take," Henry stumbled off the cockpit. The stained glass did little to illuminate the dark church. The large cross around Henry's neck glinted.

"Me? Having trouble fucking? Never that. I came for your advice."

Father Henry just scoffed, sitting down. Lev's eyes dropped the the shackles around his ankles as they glinted.

It was said Henry escaped from prison, but would never get those removed. He moved fine, so it didn't seem to matter. Except it was such an odd thing.

"I could have those removed," Lev nodded to the chain.

Henry smirked. "Do you know why they unchain you in prison?"

"Because they have cell doors," Lev raised his brows.

Henry shook his head. "No...because the illusion that you have the ability to be free is even more crushing. If you can move freely...you'll always have hope of freedom."

Lev shifted. "Oh?"

"We're all chained by something, lad. When people forget it? They die. I will not forget."

Lev scoffed. "Not like you to be so...serious. Have I found you in an odd mood?"

The father shrugged. "Not necessarily. What can I help you with today, Lev Romanoff."

Lev crossed his legs, glancing up at the painting behind the pulpit.

"I have a child."

Henry raised his brows. "My condolences."

Lev nodded. "Xiomara will most likely have it."

Henry sighed. "And want me to guarantee I'll take this child in should the worst happen?"

Lev shrugged. "I would go to the convent but we're...having a falling out."

Henry chuckled. "I don't think I have a strong enough standing with a God to combat the curses of dozens of nuns."

Lev glanced away, resting his cheek in his hand, his elbow propped on the edge of the pew. He stood, silently walking away.

"I will," Henry proclaimed. "I will take care of that child if none of you can anymore."

Lev's lips turned up. He paused, glancing back and put his finger on his lips. Henry nodded. He stood alone as Lev left him, heading back home. Midnight struck as Lev snuck in to the dark house. A light flipped on. Lev sighed.

"Do you have to wait in the dark like a scandalized wife?" He sighed. Mikhail cigar lit up, he offered it silently. Lev took it, sitting next to him.

"We've both become so different," Mikhail murmured. "We'll have to become even more different, if this child is born."

Lev took a heavy hit of the cigar and passed it back. "So?"

Mikhail paused. "So...the child ends up being born we should give the drugs up for good."

Lev narrowed his eyes, but said nothing for a moment. "I think I'm at my limit for changing. I have changed more than I thought possible. But I don't think I am able to make such a drastic change."

Mikhail smiled. "I will not lost another child. I can't handle it. You can't either. And Xiomara...she would just die."

Lev swallowed roughly. "We're better than we were then. We can protect them."

Mikhail clenched his jaw. "Like we protected her at the docks?"

"Katya was—"

"I meant Xiomara," Mikhail interrupted. "We both stood there, frozen in fear. We got lucky."

Lev clenched his jaw.

"Let the Vitale win."
"But—!"

Mikhail sighed. "One day you might change your mind. Maybe we'll leave this area all together, and abandon the violence we've always clung to."

Mikhail smiles softly, cupping Lev's cheek. "Even if the you you are now disappears...I'll know. I'll remember. It's okay to change. You won't disappear. I know every iteration of you, Lev. And I've loved every one. But for the sake of family...we have to keep changing. The Brothers Romanoff need to die."

Lev hung his head. "And if I can't? If I'm incapable of changing that much? If I need the blood and the conflict?"

Mikhail shrugged. "I'll still love you. And I'll be by your side, like always. I can never leave you, Lev. You're half of me."

Lev leaned his head on Mikhail's shoulder.

"But Xiomara, me and this child are made of softer material than you are. And I truly believe...you'll end up burying us all, and walking alone. That's what I'm afraid of. Even more than change."

The two sat as the cigar fizzled out, half smoked, their thoughts and expectations for the future swirling, mixing between fear and pure excitement.

• • •
Double update because I somehow got behind. Chapter 41 is up on Patreon!