45

Within a few months, Xiomara had found her place in a small house outside the city, her belly still barely showing. She cooked quietly thinking about everything and nothing.

"I'm back,"

She looked back at the door as it opened. "What are you doing here?"

Remy shrugged setting his coat in the couch. "Was passing by the neighborhood."

Remy sat at the table, resting his face in his palm. Xiomara was beautiful, talented, successful. But she would not respond to his advances, claiming to be too busy, and too tired.

"Do I look like like a damn rest stop. You don't need to stop here every time you're within five minutes of me," she grumbled but set down a bowl of soup in front of him.

Her phone rang. She ignored it. Remy considered them an item, unofficially, but Xiomara seemed less than inclined to put labels is on anything.

"That work?" He asked as she set a fork in front of him, ignoring his question.

He frowned. "Why don't you call back?"

Xiomara rolled her eyes, "Remy just eat and go—"

"Call him," Remy demanded.

Xiomara went still. "I don't want to. We're not together, Remy."

"Call him."

And then she took out her phone, dialing the number back on speakerphone.

"I thought you were busy." A deep, accented voice came through the line.

Xiomara clenched her jaw. "I was."

Remy snatched the phone. "Who is this?"

There was a pause before a boisterous chuckle came through the phone.

"I asked a fucking question —"

"Get rid of him. Or I will. Mikhail will be displeased. I'll keep this to myself."

The line clicked. Xiomara sighed. "You should go. If he comes here you'll leave in a body bag." She took a rag to the counters. "I warned you didn't I?"

Remy frowned. "Is he dangerous? Are you in trouble?"

Xiomara just heaved a sigh, turning around. "I'm fine. Listen, I keep telling you, I don't need you. You don't need to stop here. I don't need friendship, or companionship or a boyfriend."

"Because of him," Remy's fist clenched around the phone.

"Because I have all that. I'm going home soon," she said softly.

"Back home to what? This is your home isn't it?"

She shook her head. "I'm going home to my family. I told you not to get close to me. We were never going to be together. I kept telling you that."

• • •

Mikhail stared out the window, cigar hanging out of his mouth, his hands in his pockets.

"There you are," Lev called.

Mikhail glanced back with a soft smile. Lev kissed his cheek, looking over his shoulder.

"You're awfully chipper. Who was on the phone?" Mikhail asked nonchalantly.

"The Father. Just checking on some of the ammo, you know him," Lev's hands drifted down Mikhail's body, turning him around.

Mikhail heaved a sigh, glancing at him with his dark eyes over the light of his cigar. "So energetic," he murmured.

Lev just raised his brows. Mikhail leaned against the cool glass of the window uninterested.

"Come now, sunshine," Lev murmured, getting to his knees. "What will it take to make you smile?"

Mikhail looked past him, inhaling deeply. "That's a loaded question."

Lev smirked, unbuckling Mikhail's belt. "You've become so sour, da? Don't get used to this."

Mikhail just looked straight ahead his hand on Lev's head. "Hm-hm," he hummed, as Lev took him deep into his mouth.

"Welcome home," Mikhail called suddenly, sending a shiver down Lev's back. He pulled back, as Mikhail stubbed out his cigar on the windowsill.

Xiomara shifted. "...Thanks."

He smiled softly, running his fingers through Lev's hair idly. "I'm surprised you came back. You forget something?"

She shook her head softly. "I'm coming back."

Mikhail smirked. "Oh? Remy not treating you well?"

Lev choked. Xiomara shifted. "Um..."

"He didn't tell me. I know. I know everything," he said vaguely. "Since the moment you left. But never mind all that. You're back now?"

She nodded. "I'm back now."

Mikhail waved her forward. "Lemme see you."

She set her bags down, hesitantly approaching the two men. Lev furrowed his brows, but kept his ministrations in earnest.

Mikhail lifted her shirt, touching her belly. "Cute," he smiled softly. "They say carrying low means you're having a boy."

Xiomara bent over. "Lev. Nice to see you being humble for once."

Lev smirked. "Don't get used to it."

She grinned straightening up. "I wasn't sure if I was welcome—"

"Of course you are," Mikhail grinned. "You're family."

She shifted. "Aren't you upset?"

He shook his head. "I've been married to Lev for years. I'm used to bad behavior."

Lev winced.

"It's just that—"

"You don't need to make any excuses. I made them to myself for you. Everything is fine," Mikhail pulled Lev off him, tucking himself back into his pants. "Lev help with her bags."

Lev sighed but did so. Xiomara lingered, looking after Mikhail who had gone into his room.

"Do you think...everything is really okay?" She asked softly.

Lev just smiled sadly.

• • •

Read ahead on Patreon!